Axle shaft. 2008

Chip

Turbocharged
Ride
08 Rocket Touring, 15 Rocket Touring
Just a week or two back, we were discussing the values on bearings. Specifically what caused bearing failure and the importance of proper spacing and torque. Well I’m raising my hand! I have at least .125 play in my front tire with the tension on the axle reduced.
I noticed that pushing my 08 TR3T around my shop was way to hard. I jacked the cycle up so both tires were free. I could barely turn the wheel. That‘s the story. I sure feel like a moron after the great discussion before.
The bearings and seal are on order and the axle will be checked for wear. Question. Is there any reason I can’t buy a new axle to fit the 2015 and use it if needed on the 2008? Are they interchangeable ?

They are, i doubt yours is messed up. Last time you installed spacer incorrectly. new bearings installed correctly and torqued correctly and you should be good, were the brake pads removed for this resistance testing you did?

Last edited:
They are, i doubt yours is messed up. Last time you installed spacer incorrectly. new bearings installed correctly and torqued correctly and you should be good, were the brake pads removed for this resistance testing you did?
First thing I did. I thought a hung up caliper might be the problem. Nope, I’m surprised how hard it was to turn the front wheel. We rode the 08 when we went to Tennessee in October. I put it on the trailer a month ago planning on taking it to Florida for bike week. No issues at all. When the plan changed I took it off the trailer. I expected the Rocket to come down the ramp fast. That’s when I realized the issue. I had to push it off the trailer. Thanks on the axle option.

The repair is complete. I learned a few things on this Rodeo. The bearing seal and spacer were installed wrong. The shop who changed the tire put a new set of bearings and seals on. The spacer on the right side was facing wrong direction. I should have seen that. The shop apologized and wanted to Pay for the parts. I declined. i wanted them to be aware of mistake.
1). Old history. Keep good notes on all repairs.
2). Once again, use this Forum for ideas and knowledge.
3). Be vigilant and pay attention to work done by others.

Back