Anyone's R3T Headlight Reflector Fogging Up?

rahoffman2

.040 Over
Ride
2008 Rocket 3 Touring
Bought a used R3T in Jan 2010. Noticed that the headlight reflector was fogged with something. It wasn't water moisture cause when I tried to wipe it off with a microfiber towel thru the bulb hole, the towel was coated with a yellowish substance. It cleaned up pretty good, but was back again in a couple of weeks. Cleaned it 3 more times in 2011.

Called the dealer and they got me a new one under warranty. The new one has been in for 3 weeks and it is starting to fog up also!!!???

Never had a problem like this before. All my other bikes (Honda) had crystal clear reflectors.

Anyone have this problem? Anyone find a good way to clean inside the headlight?

Thanks,
Rich

Bought a used R3T in Jan 2010. Noticed that the headlight reflector was fogged with something. It wasn't water moisture cause when I tried to wipe it off with a microfiber towel thru the bulb hole, the towel was coated with a yellowish substance. It cleaned up pretty good, but was back again in a couple of weeks. Cleaned it 3 more times in 2011.

Called the dealer and they got me a new one under warranty. The new one has been in for 3 weeks and it is starting to fog up also!!!???

Never had a problem like this before. All my other bikes (Honda) had crystal clear reflectors. Anyone have this problem?
Anyone find a good way to clean inside the headlight?

Thanks,
Rich

Just a thought here.. is the bulb or connector plug giving off some sort of oxydisation or gas when its hot ?

Sounds like smoke residue..

jm2cw

My 09 was brand new when I got it, and the reflector seemed to be a little dirty looking...I have taken it apart and removed the bulb, squirted glass cleaner through the hole and washed it out with clean water and throughly dried it...It seems to be ok for a while, but then it gets a little dirty looking again...I don't know the answer....Larry

Never had a problem like this before. All my other bikes (Honda) had crystal clear reflectors.

Anyone have this problem? Anyone find a good way to clean inside the headlight?

Thanks,
Rich

Sounds like you have a bulb that has someothing on it that when heated, stains the lamp. I'm in for changing the bulb.:D

Thanks for the replies! I've changed the bulb twice. I use the Sylvania Silverstar H4, same one that I used on my Honda Shadow.

Only the sides of the reflector are "fogged/clouded", above and below the bulb is clear and shiney. :confused:

Guess I'll have to clean it more often.

Rich

Back