Another tyre thread

So true, however I'm certain that the 240 Exedra was made in a bias ply (i've seen references to the exedra max with a bias ply option, but I'm not sure if it ever existed), but it appears to be out of production.

My apologies for confounding the matter.:thumbsup:

All reports indicate the Avon up front is a superior tire, but it is a little pricier and not available in my preferred size. Now that the Exedra Max front is available in a 130/70 17 size, I find it, paired with its 240 mate in the rear, is the ideal setup for me. I virtually never ride in the rain, which is where the Cobra seems to outshine the Max, from what i hear.

https://www.denniskirk.com/543980.sku?utm_source=pricegrabber&utm_medium=cse
https://www.denniskirk.com/544393.sku?utm_source=pricegrabber&utm_medium=cse

Last edited:
The whole tire thing is so subjective. Every forum I've been on with different bikes, has stated that the stock tires were not nearly as good as others available. If the bike came with Bridgestones..get Avons.
If it came with Dunlops...get Metzlers. If it came with Yokahamas...get anything else. I remember changing out my stock Dunlops on a Harley stroker, to Michelins because of urging from those in the "know."
I found them to be the worst tires I've ever used and removed them after 900 miles! Squirmy and horrible in corners.
My whole point is that different subjective experiences and different riding styles produce far different recommendations.
Personally..after 50+ years of riding and about 25 bikes...Metzlers have never failed me nor have Bridgestones. The fact is that Dunlops have been as good as any of the sexier brands.
I've had a couple of "out of round" Avons and Michelins are dead to me.
Just my 2 cents.

Well, on mine, the Metzelers were fine to begin with, but as they wore down the front especially started cupping badly. If I let go of the bars, the entire front end started shimmying, and towards the end I was wrestling the bike down and actively steering it in the corners to try to keep it on track, it truly sucked. Avons? I can do sweeping turns with hands off the bars, they track perfectly, and not a hint of instability. Maybe that will change as they age - new tires are always going to be a huge upgrade to used up ones - but thus far I couldn't be happier. So I do have some reason to be anti-Marathon 880's.

Back