An inch is as good as a mile...

I don't stay behind anything for very long. Best way to be seen is be by yourself in a big gap. If people want to ride my ass or pass me when I am doing 90mph, I drop to 80ish and let them go around and find a new gap to put myself in.

Correct strategy, bike or car. I'v been stopped by a cop for doing this and I told him... Sir, I'm just trying to stay alive and he let me go.

Last edited:
That is a classic. I see a lot of people riding next to the shoulder of the road. Why I have no idea. Not only is it dangerous because of passing traffic but vehicles entering the highway are not looking on the shoulder of the road for traffic. These are the folks that say "He just pulled right out in front of me" Any motorcycle safety course will teach you proper lane position. One lucky guy. Yes I would have stopped and assisted.

Some drivers just don't see other vehicles no matter were they are positioned ,I have had cars collide in front, side and rear of my Trucks over the years hauling earth moving equipment ,huge power station condensers ect that you can see for miles and mostly I could not stop in time :(:( unless they were drunk the usual explanation when they were capable was "I didn't see him", in Millions of Klms (yes millions) 0ver 50 years I have seen countless road accidents and had my share as well, great majority of them particularly in the later years with safer vehicles are driver error inattention , Alcohol,drugs not driving to the conditions and the ever present excessive speed, mechanical failure is relatively rare these days it was only luck the motorcyclist escaped yes an inch or so made the difference

I don't stay behind anything for very long. Best way to be seen is be by yourself in a big gap. If people want to ride my ass or pass me when I am doing 90mph, I drop to 80ish and let them go around and find a new gap to put myself in.

No such thing as a big gap in New Jersey, just to many a holes riding 4' from each other at 80mph.
In theory I totally agree about the gap, but I just can't prove it here!

I doubt the motor rider even knew what happened until he saw the YouTube.
Impact was behind him. He likely heard a loud crash found himself OK and continued on.
Had the PUD that was passing him in the same lane not been there, the oncoming veh likely would have taken him O-U-T!
Rider should have been riding the left tire track for better visibility and would likely have prevented the PUD from squesing him out.

I doubt the motor rider even knew what happened until he saw the YouTube.
Impact was behind him. He likely heard a loud crash found himself OK and continued on.
Had the PUD that was passing him in the same lane not been there, the oncoming veh likely would have taken him O-U-T!
Rider should have been riding the left tire track for better visibility and would likely have prevented the PUD from squesing him out.

The rider would have seen the collision as it was right in front of him also his brake lights came on momentarily, some people fail to stop at accidents for various reasons ,drunk/ drug effected, wanted felons or just don't give a rats arse about anyone else,

The rider would have seen the collision as it was right in front of him also his brake lights came on momentarily, some people fail to stop at accidents for various reasons ,drunk/ drug effected, wanted felons or just don't give a rats arse about anyone else,

Upon further review, you be correctamundo, M8!
The motor rider knew what happened.
The oncoming vehicle's impact sent the PUD that passed him across the rider's front and the encroaching oncoming vehicle went behind.
WOW the timing was incredible!!!

Back