Add me to the drop club!

Easy to happen, did something similar following another rider into a circle, he slowed, looked left, saw opening and started accelerating. I looked left, saw opening and started accelerating. When I looked forward he had changed his mind and stopped.
I was lucky to be on a different line and cruised pass him, but it was close. Looking back if I was not trying to stay with the group probably would have stopped and waited for next break in traffic.
Hopefully you and the other rider did not get hurt.
Rick

What pissed me off at myself is that I have witnessed two of the same type incidents while riding behind the motors involved. I should have been a little more vigilant.
I did allow enough space/time for him to be clear of me, but I did NOT anticipate his falling over.

What pissed me off at myself is that I have witnessed two of the same type incidents while riding behind the motors involved. I should have been a little more vigilant.
I did allow enough space/time for him to be clear of me, but I did NOT anticipate his falling over.

Space is a big deal. The crew I ride with is staggered but they don't leave enough space going 60 and 70. Close ranks in town, but open it up on the road. Another reason I try to stay in back is that is how my last Rocket got totaled. The guy behind me wasn't paying attention. He is a two fisted drinker and for all I know he had a couple before the ride. :mad::banghead::eek: It was not a fun time!

I got you all beat... a few years ago, at a local rally, the HD dealer was offering demo rides. Ok, I’ll do that. Well, we’re riding two up on a new CVO monster. I get to the first stop, not even out of the parking lot yet, fiddling with the radio..... next thing you know, it’s going over! She bails half way thru (smart chick, been riding behind me for almost four decades). And there I am, over on the bars and bags saying’ How the Hell did that happen!’. 8000 people watching. I take a bow, hoist it back up, and we ride on.
We get back to the tent and the mechs are all over it.
It was awesome!

I politely laid mine down 2 months ago turning from a stop when it kicked into neutral unexpectedly. Could not budge it. Fortunately it was at a rural intersection and two men stopped and helped me pick it up. At least I had the presence of mind to put kick stand down rather than tipping it over the other way. :)

#ell ain't laid a bike down in years. 2005 Bonneville american 100,00 plus miles in five years never laid down. Harley fat-boy 2010 five years and over 98,000 miles never laid down.Rocket X 47,000 miles never laid down. Guess i'm lucky. :oops::oops::oops::oops::oops:

Welcome to the club of understanding... :-/ Though it made it easy to convince my bride I should just go ahead and get new D&D slip-ons out of the deal. ;-p
-MIG

Add me to the dubious drop club too. Took a long demo ride about ten days ago on a brand new phantom black Roadster before purchasing. Upon pulling into the dealership parking lot, my left foot got hung up on the peg and over we went. At least I got that out of the way! I was surprised how little damage was done. Needed new shift and clutch levers, everything else was just minor cosmetic damage.

Add me to the dubious drop club too. Took a long demo ride about ten days ago on a brand new phantom black Roadster before purchasing. Upon pulling into the dealership parking lot, my left foot got hung up on the peg and over we went. At least I got that out of the way! I was surprised how little damage was done. Needed new shift and clutch levers, everything else was just minor cosmetic damage.
Being a demo it was theirs and their insurance or whatever.

I hope you bought another new pristine one.;):D

I hope you learnt the lessons then - Flares and chunky soles went out in the '70's and tip-over bars are essential.;):D:roll::roll::roll::roll:

Last edited:
Back