Add me to the drop club!

The stealership, err dealership had requested the bike be delivered from another shop as they were out of the R3R model. So their whole point was I either buy the one I dropped or pay an $800+ repair bill to put it back to 'new' condition. I was leaning towards buying it anyway as I love everything about the bike but the cramped (for me) riding position.

I have never heard of having to pay for a test ride damaged demo machine as that is their responsibility to ensure insurance as part of running a business. Until you sign and pay for it it is theirs and their problem. I reckon you was conned unless you signed an indemnity before test riding, in which case you were conned and should have gone elsewhere.

What happens if somebody bumps into and knocks over a static bike on display?
Nobody would pay for that in a dealership would they?
Very different if a private sale or privately owned machine.

Ever been in a store and seen the sign "you break it, you bought it". Always wondered if that would hold up in court (doubt it) and for that matter if @Walking Tall decided to just leave how that would go? I agree with you Ish and think if he pushed the issue there would be nothing they could do. When you are a business and set yourself up to do demo's they know sooner or later someone's gonna wreck something and thats what insurance is for. They should be thrilled he didn't get hurt. Then they would/could have had a lawsuit!

The thing I hated the most about the whole demo ride experience was that after I dropped the bike I felt the assistant sales manager backed me into a corner. I was specifically told I was not leaving without either buying the bike or fixing everything that was damaged. I didn't appreciate this treatment as I wasn't prepared to leave a deposit and sign the contract till the following week. I made a scene on the showroom floor with the weasel assistant s.m. who apparently acts as the general s.m.'s minion. I also must mention that this is the third bike (and probably last) that I've bought from them. Basically, I felt that they weren't taking me at my word that I'd be back to buy the bike and were treating me like some stranger walking in off the street.

The thing I hated the most about the whole demo ride experience was that after I dropped the bike I felt the assistant sales manager backed me into a corner. I was specifically told I was not leaving without either buying the bike or fixing everything that was damaged. I didn't appreciate this treatment as I wasn't prepared to leave a deposit and sign the contract till the following week. I made a scene on the showroom floor with the weasel assistant s.m. who apparently acts as the general s.m.'s minion. I also must mention that this is the third bike (and probably last) that I've bought from them. Basically, I felt that they weren't taking me at my word that I'd be back to buy the bike and were treating me like some stranger walking in off the street.
Mate 'Walking Tall' may be all well and good, but sounds like you needed a bit of Teddy's version. Trying to hold you there was illegal detention and you should have called the police and sued the f@ckers. After buying 3 bikes there already - that is ridiculous!

Teddy Rooseveldt was famed for his 'Big Stick'!

Big Stick ideology - Wikipedia
Tr-bigstick-cartoon.JPG

Only takes one sales person or one bad experience at a business to sour a otherwise good business relationship.
It is a shame it happened BUT you did end up with a heck of a bike, enjoy it and put the rest behind you.

Rick

I wouldn't pay for a bike that the dealer took a chance on letting me test ride in hope of a sale; the sign in the shop should read you drop it, our insurance will pay for it; unless you make some other agreement, if I had to go through all those changes but was seriously looking to buy, they would loose my business.

Back