Adaptive LED Headlights - JW Speaker

I currently run the Adaptive 2, having replaced my original Adaptives.
I upgraded because I prefer to run high beams adjusted to low beam specs.
The JWS Adaptive 2 are THE BEST motor headlights available today!
No lights I have tested have performed nearly as well for long range object recognition at night.
What Graybeard Chris @barbagris has stated here is spot on.

The Adaptive 2 work with high beam, but give more far light beam than low beam ?? Or is the adaptation closure the exact same? I think it will only be interesting if the adaptation is different in the high and low beam

The Adaptive 2 work with high beam, but give more far light beam than low beam ?? Or is the adaptation closure the exact same? I think it will only be interesting if the adaptation is different in the high and low beam

Not sure of your meaning, but the high beam always produces more measurable light than the low beam.
I'm not yet sure if the Adaptive 2 puts out more light than the original Adaptive. I've yet to test my Adaptive 2 for a comparison.

Not sure of your meaning, but the high beam always produces more measurable light than the low beam.
I'm not yet sure if the Adaptive 2 puts out more light than the original Adaptive. I've yet to test my Adaptive 2 for a comparison.

I will try to explain. For what i understand the original Adaptive lights only "do the adaptive " in the low beam. In high beam is a "normal" led light without adaptive range.
The new Adaptive 2 lights "do the adaptive" in the low and high beam. As the high beam lights up farther, is the "adaptive" different (lights up farther) from the "adaptive" in the low beam?

I will try to explain. For what i understand the original Adaptive lights only "do the adaptive " in the low beam. In high beam is a "normal" led light without adaptive range.
The new Adaptive 2 lights "do the adaptive" in the low and high beam. As the high beam lights up farther, is the "adaptive" different (lights up farther) from the "adaptive" in the low beam?

That there is correct! :thumbsup:

I have not seen the AD2 first hand - so I am open to correction. But the photos are pretty clear.
And having built my own adaptive auxiliary lights from scratch before Speaker did - I have a fair idea of the pitfalls.

I think Steve may have misunderstood the last bit of the question regarding the POINT OF AIM of the adaptive part on DIP and MAIN.

The adaptive function employed by JWS is simply an arrray of additional led emmiters left and right. These light up depending on the angle you are banked at. Period. It is ROBUST - The systems used by car mfrs (i.e. AUDI) are more complex but scaled down to M/C size would be subject to mechanical failure.

KTM have adopted a similar ADAPTIVE lighting solution to JWS in their Superduke-GT. Simple and robust.

Think of this as 4 simple light clusters in an aluminium case.

DIP BEAM CLUSTER
HIGH BEAM CLUSTER
LEFT ADAPTIVE ARRAY CLUSTER
RIGHT ADAPTIVE ARRAY CLUSTER

The adaptive lenses form part of a single piece optic that covers all 4 clusters, and LEDS will be in fixed positions for heat management, so the leds must therefore aim at the same distance and angle whether dipped or high beam is selected. The fact that JWS also use the same optic piece for non adaptive lights is a clear sign imo.

Simply - on the AD1 the adaptive arrays were deactivated in main beam. JWS have decided to have adaptive operating now on both.
In many respects this is easier to make - but heat management will have been an issue they wanted to resolve first.

But on highways on main the light output is outstanding anyway.

It should be noted that the adaptive function does draw a fair number of amps - the more you bank the more leds are lit and the more current is drawn.
And these are not wimpy little leds. Power LEDS - they get HOT.

AD2 specs

1.9A @ 12V DC (Low Beam)
3.2A @ 12V DC (High Beam)
0.21A @ 12V DC (Front Position)
4.2A @ 12V DC (Low Beam at Full Lean)
5.5A @ 12V DC (High Beam at Full Lean) ----- This is on paper 10% more current than a Halogen H4 60/55W on Full beam.

AD1 specs

1.9A @ 12V DC (Low Beam)
.21A @ 12V DC (Front Position)
4.2A @ 12V DC (Low Beam @ Full Lean)

tbh I am a bit annoyed that the AD1 was so short lived - but I will not be upgrading to AD2. I see no point as I almost never get to use High beam.
The question you need to ask yourself is - Do I need adaptive on High or not. If not them the current discount on AD1 by mobile centre merits consideration.

@goncallf - Make sure your 2010 Roadster has the Triumph Relay kit fitted - Some of the early 2010 came without them - There was a factory recall/update.

Doubtful, as the two light boogie done by my Adaptive 2s is original and entertaining!
Steve - the very first videos I saw - a 7" had the dancing display.
I remember being a bit miffed my AD1's didn't do it.
Was an Aussie tester iirc - on a Bonnie.

Found it

I think Steve may have misunderstood the last bit of the question regarding the POINT OF AIM of the adaptive part on DIP and MAIN.

The adaptive function employed by JWS is simply an arrray of additional led emmiters left and right. These light up depending on the angle you are banked at. Period. It is ROBUST - The systems used by car mfrs (i.e. AUDI) are more complex but scaled down to M/C size would be subject to mechanical failure.

KTM have adopted a similar ADAPTIVE lighting solution to JWS in their Superduke-GT. Simple and robust.

Think of this as 4 simple light clusters in an aluminium case.

DIP BEAM CLUSTER
HIGH BEAM CLUSTER
LEFT ADAPTIVE ARRAY CLUSTER
RIGHT ADAPTIVE ARRAY CLUSTER

The adaptive lenses form part of a single piece optic that covers all 4 clusters, and LEDS will be in fixed positions for heat management, so the leds must therefore aim at the same distance and angle whether dipped or high beam is selected.

These were my doubts. My thoughts are the same as you mentioned. For me the AD2 only makes sense if the POINT OF AIM, change in from low to High beam.

AD2 specs

1.9A @ 12V DC (Low Beam)
0.21A @ 12V DC (Front Position)
4.2A @ 12V DC (Low Beam at Full Lean)
5.5A @ 12V DC (High Beam at Full Lean) ----- This is on paper 10% more current than a Halogen H4 60/55W on Full beam.

AD1 specs

1.9A @ 12V DC (Low Beam)
.21A @ 12V DC (Front Position)
4.2A @ 12V DC (Low Beam @ Full Lean)

A very good point.

@goncallf - Make sure your 2010 Roadster has the Triumph Relay kit fitted - Some of the early 2010 came without them - There was a factory recall/update.
I think mine doesn't have that kit fitted, I will ask to my dealer.

Last edited:
From my experience, the point of aim is definitely changed from low to high beam and the light projected forward is greater in high beam.

Back