Accessory outlet

socket

If you just install a standard cigar lighter plug, you don't need to JB weld anything. I bought a cigar lighter kit at walmart for less than $5 ... took a razor knife to the stock hole, shaved-off just a bit of the plastic to enlarge the hole. A regular car lighter like this has a screw-on arrangement that leaves a small stainless trim ring showing on the outside. I am just leaving the cigar lighter element in mine - one could put one of the weather tight replacement plugs in if they don't want the lighter.

Triumph is not doing something dastardly by making a provision for the type plug they sell. Because BMW bikes have used this type plug for years, many touring accessories offer the BMW plug (also know a powerlet plug). The main difference verses a lighter plug is that it "locks" in place, and it is sized so that, with an adapter (that defeats the locking feature) it can be used in a cigar lighter.

If you own a trickle charger, like Battery Doc, that has a lighter plug ... look at it closely, there is probably a plastic ring (red on the Battery Doc I have) that will pull off the end and allow the lighter plug to fit and lock into a BMW outlet.

If you want to have a BMW style outlet or plug, without paying a fortune for it .... go to a John Deere tractor implement dealer ... they have been used on John Deere tractors for decades.

Chuck

Back