12 Volt Outlet Install - USA Type (Cigarette Lighter Plug)

Starmanut

Nitrous
Ride
2010 Rocket III Touring, Suzuki Boulevard M50
Bought a USA size 12 Volt socket last December. Got it on EBay for $3.25.

The garage was finally warm enough at the same time I felt like installing it so here's what I did:
IMG_2597.jpg

I used a wood block and clamped the cover down. Then I used a 1" Spade bit to drill the hole out enough to almost fit our size (USA) of outlets. I used the wood block as a guide to keep the bit centered.

Then I used a 3/4" and 1" sanding drum to fine tune the hole so the outlet housing could fit.

IMG_2577.jpg

IMG_2587.jpg

IMG_2583.jpg

The screw ring was a snug fit, but was a softer plastic so it fit right down tight.
IMG_2584.jpg

The connector that came with the socket had a plug that did not match any on the Rocket, so I cut it off and soldered on some round terminals and hooked them directly to my fuse block off the battery. The hot wire has a fuse in it already, so I'm now double fused. The wire fit nicely right behind the relay set.
IMG_2590.jpg

IMG_2592.jpg

All done.
My mini air pump can now jack directly into the socket, should I ever need it.

I had one of these on the beast but mine had the cigarette lighter in it.

People used to ask me what's that for. I'd reply have you ever tried to light a smoke at 60 miles an hour on a motorbike. Ended up getting full of water and shorting out the main fuse.

Now I carry a alagator clips type connection that clamps directly to the battery so I can charge my phone, run Air pump for air bed.
Also compressor for tires.
Screenshot_20190522_191842.png

Nice job on the wiring.

Back