A few questions for those who have replaced detent spring

wjb

Nitrous
Ride
2008 Rocket III Touring
My People,

I will soon be attempting to replace the detent spring in my '08 Touring and have a few questions.
I have read through a couple of write ups about it and watched a video, although the video was about replacing the clutch, and did not remove the clutch basket so, no actual replacement of the spring.
I ordered the spring and front cover gasket from my local Triumph dealer and when I received them they also included the detent arm assembly as well.
Here are my questions.

Has anyone attempted to replace the spring without removing the clutch? It looks like it could be possible to do with some needle nose or duck billed pliers if they were bent with just the right angle. Not having to remove the clutch sure would shorten up the repair.

Do I need to replace the detent arm assembly too? And what would that involve? It looks like there is another spring of some kind that would have to be removed/replaced to do that.

How helpful is removing the front wheel and fender? Is it really worth it?

I appreciate your experience and opinions.

Ok not sure why you didn't just order the spring. But that aside you put a nick in it with the needle nose pliers at least you will be able to see how much faster you can replace the next one. Now in my opinion you will increase your chances on damaging the new spring 10 fold if you don't pull the basket. I also think it will increase your time putzing around but hey I could be wrong the wifey says that's actually quite often this old bastid is wrong :D

Have you ever done the clutch? If so you will notice you can do it about 25 to 30 percent faster the second time. You will amaze yourself at how much faster you are.

I guess I didn't make it clear. I ordered, and paid for, the detent spring and the gasket ONLY. When I picked up the parts the detent arm assembly was included. That made me wonder if it was mandatory to replace the arm assembly when the spring is replaced. From the responses I will assume that the arm assembly does not need to be replaced when the detent spring is replaced. So unless I see something obviously wrong with the arm I will replace the spring only.

I guess I didn't make it clear. I ordered, and paid for, the detent spring and the gasket ONLY. When I picked up the parts the detent arm assembly was included. That made me wonder if it was mandatory to replace the arm assembly when the spring is replaced. From the responses I will assume that the arm assembly does not need to be replaced when the detent spring is replaced. So unless I see something obviously wrong with the arm I will replace the spring only.
Result ! :thumbsup:

Back