3 months later - - Transmission STILL not fixed.

Txclassic

.040 Over
Follow-up to catastrophic transmission failure on my 2006 Rocket Classic. See the original thread:
http://www.r3owners.net/common-issues/3894-catastrophic-transmission-failure.html

British-USA called up Thursday, September 18 to let me know my Bike was ready. After three long months and a blown summer riding season, it was finally done. When I went to pick it up, I discovered that my requests for additional service were ignored. When the bike was delivered June 25, I included an 18 page documentation package of the bike's condition prior to delivery, along with a request for state inspection, tire check, brake check, and install highway bars/footpegs. They couldn't find the package I gave them and didn't know anything about the service items I had requested. When I told them the state inspection had expired, the service manager said everyone drives with expired inspection. It'll be OK. My blood begins to boil. The reason I asked for all that service was to take advantage of the bike being disassembled and provide ample time to order the bars/footpegs. I finally convice the guy to do the state inspection, but the bars will have to be ordered and the other stuff would just have to wait for another time.

Also, the service manager wouldn't give me the parts list until the warranty claim had been processed. But the summary is the bike got a new engine casing and the upgrade kit. I guess since it was assembled from parts, the engine was not stamped with a serial number. The bike is filthy! They didn't even attempt to clean it up. At this point, I just want to take my baby home. BUT before I even start the bike, I buy a 3-year extended warranty from Western Service Contract Corp. at the dealer. The factory warranty has now expired and I didn't want to take any chances on further repair costs. The parts alone on this fiasco were over $5000.

With a whole lot of cautious optimism, I carefully rode it home. With all the traffic lights out from hurricane IKE, it was slow going stop-and-go. Didn't even get out of third gear. No issues detected on this slow ride. The bike pulls hard and I'm happy to have it back.

Rode straight home and parked it for the rest of the weekend. The real test drive would not happen for a couple more days. Lots of storm cleanup to do, but not as bad as some.

When I get home, I noticed it is also missing the bolt for the top right of the radiator shroud and is missing the Triumph badge on the left of the engine.

On Monday, I drove it to work and babied it to make sure everything was working OK. The transmission is stiff and shifts like it did when new, however 3rd through 5th seem to click instead of clunk now. Clutch force is also higher than before. It requires some coaxing to get it into neutral.

Signs of trouble - - 3 to 2 downshift, slowing to make a turn about 1/2 mile from home. Accelerate in 2nd out of the turn and there is that same old problem again! Second gear makes that "slip" and catches again. If you have this problem, you know it. WTF?!! It's like nothing got fixed at all!

Decided to ride it to work the next day and see if the problem was my shifting or maybe the shifter adjustment. The heel-toe shifter was out of adjustment with the heel part too far down. Maybe there wasn't enough travel to ensure complete engagement.

After adjusting the shifter, I get my chance at a red light. Full acceleration in first. Seems strong and ready for second. When I disengage the clutch, the transmission makes this terrible clash of gears. I shift to third and all is well. Slow down and shift back to second. Transmission will not mesh in second at all. Upshift to third, fourth, fifth and it's like nothing is wrong again. This is one extremely unhappy Rocket owner that is beyond p#$&*d off! Did the dealer even test drive it at all?!!

That evening, I call the dealership and kindly ask to speak to the owner. He's tied up with a customer. I leave a message and and he does not return my call. The next day, I get a call from the service manager and explain the problems. He says I'll have to bring it in. Wrong answer. THEY will have to bring it in at their expense. Well that was useless. He also claimed that they cleaned the bike prior to delivery. Gloves are off and I'm not taking any more BS. I'll take a lot of crap, but woe be to you if you lie. Thursday, September 25 I bring it in by skipping 2nd gear, which works very well. Just double click from 1 to 3.

I drop it off at the service desk and explain the problems to a different person. (Service manager is not there this time). No estimate on repair time and no loaners available.

The first failure I attribute to a Triumph manufacturing/design problem, which was supposed to be rectified by the 2008 upgrade kit. The failure after repair I attribute to shoddy workmanship by my dealer. They are soley responsible for making this thing right at no expense to me. Just hope it is not another 3 months till I ride again.

I just wish they had swapped out my engine with a complete new one and let Triumph do the post mortem.

The guys with turbos, superchargers, and other performance mods are not cratering their transmission. Surely my stock setup is not putting excessive loads on the drivetrain. Shifting was fine for the first 10,000 miles. What could be going wrong?

Still love my Rocket, and I want it back. But for the first time, I'm beginning to wonder if a lower powered seemingly more reliable ride is in my future so I can get some 2-wheel time.

I can't say much more other than that sucks. Have you tried contacting Triumph direct?

Triumph Motorcycles (America) Ltd.
385 Walt Sanders Memorial Drive
Suite 100
Newnan, Georgia 30265
Main Telephone: (678) 854-2010
Customer Service: (678) 854-2010, extension 2064
Dealer Development: (678) 854-2010, extension 2046

Does Texas have a lemon law that covers bikes?

My position....

Oh' boy. I'm going down the same road minus the hole in the case. I'm going a different route however by taking the bike via trailer over 600 miles to Baxter's in Marne, Iowa to have it repaired. My phone discussion with Baxter's has left me feeling very confident that it will be fixed right the first time.

Personally, I would contact Triumph in Newman directly and have a discussion with them, possibly one on one if need be. If you feel that after your discussion with Triumph, your avenues are limited, at that time, I would pursue alternate paths by filing a complaint with your state AG as well as determining where you stand as far as the law concerning consumer rights in your state, remember, laws vary from state to state.

I would also retain the counsel of an attorney that specializes or is versed in consumer rights and product liability issues. He will be able to tell you exactly what avenues to pursue and in what order to pursue them.

Triumph obviously has an assembly issue with the bike. That's something they are very aware of. According the what I've ascertained by telephone conversations with 2 dealers, Baxter's in Marne, Iowa and LifeCycle in Kalamazoo, Michigan, Triumph will, at their expense provide all the necessary upgraded parts and pay the related labor charges to return the motorcycle to operable condition. However, the choice of the dealer to perform the work is entirely up to the end user.

Remember, your motorcycle is a complicated piece of machinery with many systems and mechanical attributes that all have to work in harmony with one another to effectuate the end result...going down the road without incident.

Having said that, my choice will be Baxter's for a number of reasons. While Baxter's is not convenient for me, I will make it convenient simply because I feel that Baxter's (from my conversations with them) will do whatever is deemed necessary to fix the problems and do it right the first time. It's painfully obvious to me that all Triumph Dealers aren't equal in expertise or customer relations. I'd really like to see a bit of standardization in dealer service and customer relations, much like auto dealers have attained, but that obviously only comes when your dealer network is better established.

Triumph is still, for the most part, a niche motorcycle, sold and serviced by a limited number of authorized dealers, something that you were aware of when you purchased the motorcycle originally. It's not a Honda or Harley with a dealer on every corner and all dealers with cookie cutter mentality and all dealers stocked with necessary repair parts and qualified technicians. While that may become the norm in years to come, that isn't the way it is at present.

While I was in ES, I asked our Webmaster why he didn't ride a Triumph. His reply was basically....I really like Triumphs, I've owned Triumphs in the past but now I have a Honda. I want a motorcycle that I don't have to trailer 200 miles for service and I want a motorcycle that's simple to maintain........

I know I'm not telling you anything you really want to hear other than Triumph is aware of the internal problems and willing, at their expense, to rectify the problems, but, they can only provide a dealer with the necessary components to effectuate the repair. The responsibility rests, solely on the dealer, to repair the motorcycle and repair it right, the first time. Triumph has no control over the end result but, if I were you, I'd contact them and express your dissatisfaction in no uncertain terms and go from there.

Flip,

Sorry to hear of your similar troubles and thanks for the good advice. I wish you the best with Baxter's. Keep us posted on the repairs and let us know if a definitive root cause is found. I'm as intersted in fully understanding this problem as getting my ride back again.

Thanks Pig9r for the addresses and phone numbers for Newnan.

Next step is to call the dealer tomorrow to see if they have even taken a look at the bike. I want to fully give them a chance to make this thing right, but I will not accept another 3 month wait. Failing an acceptable response and successful repair, I will pull the trigger on calling Triumph USA.

The best outcome is for the dealer to give the repair priority and get my bike in perfect, reliable running condition again, SOON! If they falter, then the process begins with a formal complaint, mediation, administrative law ruling, etc. The manufacturer (not the dealer) must receive a formal written complaint. You have the option of seeking repurchase/replacement or repair.

All I am seeking is 1) A brand new 2008 black Triumph Rocket III Classic engine with all the latest factory remedies installed in my bike, 2) A test drive by a Triumph factory representative to verify proper installation and operation, and 3) A two-year new vehicle factory warranty on the new engine.

For those in Texas:
Texas Lemon Law

Very same story happening to a French friend of mine, who happens to be the webmaster of a francophone RocketIII site where I serve as a moderator!!! (although he has chosen NOT to go public about his predicament). For leasing-reasons, he traded-in his impeccable 2006 "Tribal" Rocket, with only 26'000 kilometers (16'250 miles) on it, for a new one. And that new one, almost from day one, went through an endless series of trans mishaps.

He managed to cause his dealer AND the French Triumph importer to take the bike back (with only a few hundreds k's or miles on it) and to deliver another brand new one to him, at no add'l cost to him.

Easier said than done, of course, but IMO that's what your are entitled to demand, i.e. a brand new bike. Nothing less. And you have enough evidence to back your claim up.

With best wishes. Jamie

can you share the dealer name or at least the location. Just curious...I visited Dallas last summer and the one dealer I visited was an a$$. It made me wonder about the quality of their service.

good luck,,,you need some for a change.

Back