20k service and warranty repairs

crazyman

Supercharged
I took my R3T in for her 20k service. There has been some serious knocking and pinging lately and a few starting problems.

Got a call from the tech today and apparently Triumph told them to replace the fuel gauge and the clutch switch. Those two thing were causing some occasional problems with starting. The battery is almost shot so it needs replacement (no warranty). Need new tires too. Frak ! it's gonna cost me nearly $ 1400 to get my bike fixed !
The 20k service is $ 860 - called two other dealers - same $ 100 per hour labor charge. Tires are $ 430 installed. WTF ? Everything seems to be getting more expensive. I wish sometimes I was more of a mechanic at least to save a few bucks.:mad::mad::mad:

I got my R3T back yesterday. New Metzelers, new battery, 20k services. Warranty items were the fuel gauge and the clutch switch to fix the no start problem.
As for the excessive knocking and pinging, I haven't noticed it yet. Techs told me to use 89 octane or better. I told them, I read the manual......it states 87 or better. Before the TORS tune and the Raask pipes it was knocking and pinging.
She seems to run strong.
BTW< only got 9k on the rear tire. The front had some tread left, but I opted to replace both.:rolleyes:

I always run the highest octane available. If you figure what it cost you to fill up with the cheap stuff or fill up with the good stuff. The price is difference is nominal. .20 X 6 gal. = $1.20 So for the difference, I fill up with high octane.
I have always heard that if you have a high dollar ride, isn't it worth the high dollar fuel?

Big T

Oh by the way, did the dealer happen to mention mention how bad the valves were out of adjustment? And I hate to ask but how much did it set you back?

High octane gasoline is acutally harder to ignite than regular gasoline. High octane gasoline is for high compression engines, or high pressure engines (such as blowers or turbos) to prevent pre-ignition. Pre-ignition is when the fuel/air mixture ignites before the spark plug sets it off and causes piston and valve damage and loss of power due to the cylinder firing out of time.

You probably aren't losing any noticable power from running high octane, but you're definitely not gaining any and with our lowly 8.9 to 1 (something like that) compression ratio, 87 octane is just fine. Our motors ,as giant and powerful as they are, actually are in a very conservative state of tune (compression ratio, cam lift and timing, etc).

I always run the highest octane available. If you figure what it cost you to fill up with the cheap stuff or fill up with the good stuff. The price is difference is nominal. .20 X 6 gal. = $1.20 So for the difference, I fill up with high octane.
I have always heard that if you have a high dollar ride, isn't it worth the high dollar fuel?

Big T

Oh by the way, did the dealer happen to mention mention how bad the valves were out of adjustment? And I hate to ask but how much did it set you back?

20k service was not a valve check. 10k, 30k and on. I'd have to check the maint schedule.
Grand total was 1500.00 :eek:
WTF !

Oh yeah.

20k service = $840
Battery and rear brake pads = $100
Front and rear Metzeler 880s = $ 510
Misc fees and taxes made up the difference.

Funny, I did call around to other stealers. They all charge the same labor rate.

I could save a few buck doing the oil change. I've replaced batteries and brake pads in the past. Could have saved a few extra bucks. Over all though it was easier to pay.

That might not be the case at the 30k service.

Back