2015 R3R Rear Wheel installation video

mstraub72

.040 Over
Ride
2015 Triumph Rocket 3 Roadster ABS, Black & Red
Afternoon all!

I received my new Avon Cobra rear tire yesterday, and the shop surprisingly got it installed on the rim for me in around an hour. I promised a follow-up video to my previous one documenting the entire removal process, so I took last night to film the entire installation of the rear wheel, and just finished getting it all trimmed up and uploaded to YouTube.

Couple shout-outs. @Gregger , I mentioned your wicked suggestion at the 25 minute mark...leaving the muffler mount bracket installed on the mufflers themselves was FANTASTIC. Sure was easy to put them back on, vs screwing around trying to line up with those little movable nuts inside the muffler standoffs! Great idea.

And although my Dad isn't on the forum, being afflicted with Stage 3 Harleyitis, that faux - Flipmeister stand he made me to straddle across those lift holes...fantastic. So stable, and so much weight off the oilpan.

And one last thing now that the whole task is pretty fresh in my head. There's only really one point where you really need either (a) another person, or (b) a long breaker bar that reaches the ground comfortably. The rest of the entire job can be done solo. When you're going to torque up the axle bolt to 110nM, you either have to rest a long breaker bar and the 14mm hex head socket on the left side of the bike (which will resist your torque wrench on the other side, pulling up on the axle nut), or you have a friend sitting opposite you holding something to resist your torque wrench rotation.

Lastly, some quick thoughts on all the tools I can remember requiring:

• Torque wrench (likely two, smaller 3/8" drive with lower range, and larger 1/2" one that goes up to at least 110nM, the highest torque we hit on this job)
  • Scissor jack
  • Standard hydraulic jack...larger 3 ton one with a larger lifting disc / surface holds the wheel a little better than those tiny base model ones, but they'll work fine too, just be really careful the wheel doesn't roll while airborne.
  • Flipmeister stand or fab up one like I made (some people just jack straight up on the oil pan...your call...scares me too much)
  • 4 ratchet straps, 2 to hold handle bars straight (especially needed if you're doing front wheel too), and 2 to cross over bike down to jack stand to counteract any tipping issues)
  • 5mm allen key
  • 12mm socket
  • 14mm socket
  • 24mm socket
  • 14mm hex head socket
  • T30 Torx socket
  • 12mm wrench
  • lacquer thinner or other suitable degreaser for brake discs and messy parts
  • binder twine / steel wire to tie brake caliper ass'y up and out of the way
  • Moly 77 lube or whatever grease book recommends for the bevel box to rear wheel mating gears
  • WD-40 for a quick spray onto the exhaust pipe mating surface to make it easier to slide it back on
  • Rags to clean off gears with lacquer thinner
  • Something to brush the old thread locker off the removed bolts and axle. I used a simple wire brush wheel in my drill. A bench grinder / wire wheel combo unit would rule to really get them clean.
  • New blue (non-permanent) thread locker
  • Flashlight can be handy too.
  • If you're going to be REALLY by the book about the job, it says to buy a new Torque Reaction bolt and new bolts to remount your right rear shock. The dealer here just kind of smirked at me and shook his head a little bit when I asked about it, so...wire brush and reuse it is.
That's it! Any questions or tips that would improve my method for the benefit of everyone, fire away.

Original thread with Removal video and all associated conversation:

Rear wheel removal video walkthrough

Holy cow talk about deja vu. I just watched your first vid about an hour ago. I am planning on changing my tire tomorrow, in fact, and was brushing up.
I have a Touring, but the info still stands as just what I needed. I've got just about all the parts and stuff collected and ready to go. Should be a warm day to get the rubber nice and toasty.
Going to grease the shaft spline while everything is apart. Might even polish the wheel.

I don't have laquer thinner, so hopefully, brake cleaner will do as well. Nor a floor jack, so I'll have to use some leg muscle for getting the wheel up and in.

Last edited:
Great video! Pretty much exactly how I do my shaft drive bikes. As a cleaner I prefer kerosene or aerosol brake cleaner to lacquer thinner which can be pretty harsh, imho
Sorry to hear about your dads "harleyitis" , hopefully they find a cure for that some day,
Cheers,
Dean

Thanks all! Glad it's well received, and hopefully helpful. It was an intimidating job the first time, and I was really surprised not to see any in-depth vids online. So, computer nerd for a living, figured it was time to make one. @Starmanut , that's awesome. :) @vzrDean1800 , he's not responding to the Triumph Transplant unfortunately, but maybe because I keep blowing past him every time he gets smart and tries to crack the throttle on his bike. Hahaha.... And @Grumpy Ole Codger , I've been sipping the first coffee of the day (so forgive any mental cobwebs...) and really trying to think about the whole job. Where is the 10mm used? :)

Well got her done. And it's raining so can't test her out. Went from and Avon Cobra to Excedra Max. I'll see If I can tell a difference. This is the first new tire since I bought her.
I used some of that blue metal polish on the rim while I had it off.
IMG_2390.JPG

Didn't spare the moly putting it back in the drive box, figured I'd rather have too much than not enough. Hope it doesn't make a mess for next time.
However, as much as I ride, the tire may outlast me.

Very helpful for those who think this is a daunting task. Like most things mechanical it's a bit like cooking and simply following the recipe. Take it step by step.

I don't pull the shock and I wonder if most people do? It is a bit tight but you can work the caliper lines around the bottom shock bolt then use a bungee, or something, to hang the caliper so it's not weighted.

The second jack to lift the tire is smart. I get into a self-designed yoga pose and use my feet and legs to lift the wheel into place, along with appropriate grunting and cussing.

Great video!

Back