Yep it goes away. I also noticed it sounds like an old Chevy with a bad throwout bearing when I just have it sitting there idling in neutral and the clutch is released. LOL
Is this just another normal characteristic of the Triumph?
Mine is the same way, 6400 miles and only 400 of them mine. Still getting used to it and figuring out what engine mods to do.

Mine is the same way, 6400 miles and only 400 of them mine. Still getting used to it and figuring out what engine mods to do.
Mine is dealer stock according to the previous owner so I am in the same boat as far as figuring out which mods to go with.
I put just over 2K on her since I brought her home. I wanted to get use to the feel and handling before I started tweaking her.

Mine is dealer stock according to the previous owner so I am in the same boat as far as figuring out which mods to go with.
I put just over 2K on her since I brought her home. I wanted to get use to the feel and handling before I started tweaking her.

You and I are on the same page. We need to keep in touch and share thoughts. As it stands, I am happy with the way the exhaust looks now. I see no reason why we can't find a crossover to eliminate the CAT pack and then drill out the stock pipes with a hole saw, ungutting it. That is what we Yamaha Roadstar owners did in the beginning before vendors started making pipes. It worked out good but we had to rejet after upgrading the air intake and that was done by expirementing. Listen for popping on the deceleration, have a buddy ride behind you to smell for unburnt fuel, pull and inspect the plugs, lol. In the end, I still was able to get 50mpg while running on I85 to Atlanta kicking azz.

What I learned over my 18 years of owning my roadstar is that crossovers WORK and work well because of the scavenging effect. There is good reason Harley Davidson used them all these years. You DO get more torque. The other thing is that more air flow equates to more fuel. Increased performance comes not without a price. I am going to be very careful and cautious because over the last few years in my search for the R3T I wanted, I have seen a LOT of dikked up bikes. Totally open pipes, ****ty retune and less than 20 mpg running down the highway at 60mph. Nope, no way. Too many guys dikk up their rockets then dump them on the market. You and I are LUCKY to have found nice stock R3Ts.

Last edited:
The cat is in the silencer not the crossover and they are crap and will start to rust out after a while. Some have drilled out the pipes but not for the faint of heart.

The cat is in the silencer not the crossover and they are crap and will start to rust out after a while. Some have drilled out the pipes but not for the faint of heart.
I thought that the Tour models had a separate cat set up within the crossover gig betwixt the pipes.

I will peruse other options then and find something. JP cycles has some nice extensions. Regardless, I am not paying $800 for a Viking set that is somewhat questionable. That's all that's our rhere as far as I have seen.

I thought that the Tour models had a separate cat set up within the crossover gig betwixt the pipes.

I will peruse other options then and find something. JP cycles has some nice extensions. Regardless, I am not paying $800 for a Viking set that is somewhat questionable. That's all that's our rhere as far as I have seen.

I saw a smooth "Y" pipe that looks like it replaces the Cat. I wanted to look into this a bit more.

I saw a smooth "Y" pipe that looks like it replaces the Cat. I wanted to look into this a bit more.
I think there is a thread out there illustrating how the stock crossover restricts air. Also a poster has commented that by deresteicting the R3T and remapping, he got 41mpg and much improved performance.
He used TOR pipes and improved intake also.
I believe the reason the engineers have derestricted the tour model was to keep peak torque at a lower rpm. I wonder if derestricting will require MORE air and fuel in order to get the same torque at an increased rpm? That is the opposite from what I want.
As far as pipes go, none of the options I have found would be long enough unless the d&d or Viking.

Last edited:
Rain and Paul both make a single muffler for the R3T.
Single as in 2:1. ? Personally, I love the duals and want to keep that configuration. I wish these megladon pipes or fishtail pipes were longer.

IMG_1004.PNG

Attachments

• IMG_1005.PNG
    IMG_1005.PNG
    145.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1005.PNG
    IMG_1005.PNG
    146.3 KB · Views: 0
welcome to the fun, as soon as you open that thing up and set the engine free, that whole pesky fuel efficiency thing everyone worries about, will be a memory of the past, because you won't care how much fuel it uses, once the fun factor takes over, nothing else matters. that combined with winning your first few street drags, (I say winning, but it usually ends up being more like annihilating the competition) and yea, you'll understand and just go with it.

Back