Ride
2012 Roadster
Sure could use some advice trouble shooting fuse #2. I have blown this 15 amp fuse on back-to-back rides last week; both times after about 20 minutes of mixed street/hwy riding and both times while waiting at a signal light. After replacing the fuse, I continued the ride home for another 15-20 minutes. I have not been back for a ride following the second incident but the bike is running fine sitting in the garage. As all you experts already know, the result of a blown fuse #2 is no dash sweep, no fuel pump and no headlights and probably a few more items I am not aware of.

I have spent several hours researching the forum and see a ton of ignition-type issues, but not quite anything exactly like this one. Of course, I have a ride coming up this weekend and IF something like the Eastern Beaver kit is the likely solution it would not arrive in time. So, in addition to a root cause, I am looking for advise on other temporary countermeasures.

The write-ups and inputs by @HansO and @DEcosse regarding DIY headlight relay harnesses are awesome, but I just need some confirmation that this is the correct course of action.

The following is a little more context regarding minor modifications made in recent years by yours truly. The ABS light is the first and only electrical issue I have had since owning the bike for the last 20,000 miles. Bike was purchased bone stock.
  1. 2022 / 50 miles ago: Replaced cam cover gasket (for the second time) Thinking I may have jostled the harness.
  2. 2022 / 500 miles ago: ABS light started coming on randomly after replacing rear brakes and only AFTER about 10-15 min of riding.
  3. 2020 / 5,000 miles ago: Swapped out the headlights for a pair of $100 LEDs from Amazon. Swapped out horn for a Stebel Nautilus on its own relay. Added an amp for speakers. Added LED taillights to aftermarket saddlebags.

Thank you in advance for your time.

Edit #1
Started the bike with headlamps in and out. Both times the pos #2 fuse is too hot to touch and within a minute the temp reader says 150 degrees on the fuse itself. Ignition connector in the harness visually looks ok.

Edit #2
After more research it looks like an ignition switch bypass via a toggle is in order. Thank god for these forums.

Last edited:
some of the guys replaced the headlights and in the process they removed the parking lamp so what happens is the the two terminals are allowed to touch and short that circuit.
hth

some of the guys replaced the headlights and in the process they removed the parking lamp so what happens is the the two terminals are allowed to touch and short that circuit.
hth
thx Turbo - pulled the headlamps and added heat shrink to what COULD HAVE cause a short if it had touched the housing maybe??? The cheesy insulator on the aftermarket lamp had slid apart a little. Long shot but . . . .

Attachments

• IMG_5073.jpg
    IMG_5073.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 9
I was talking without a bulb in the parking lite the two terminal will short to each other

Back