2012 Roadster with 8,900 miles with a clutch problem!

I have some very good news to report about the slipping clutch that is the topic that I started here:

I was always concerned that there was none to little free play at the clutch lever when I bought the bike (None) but a little, after I adjusted it. It still slipped when under any more than 1/2 throttle, especially evident in the higher (4th and 5th) gears when applying throttle at +- 2,500 rpm's.

Tuesday after work, I put the bike on my full size hydraulic lift, where I could lift it up high enough to really see the clutch actuator arm and it's cable adjusters. To the touch, the cable was very tight with obviously no free play, even with the upper cable adjuster all the way in.

I set the upper cable adjuster at about 1/2 of it range and then adjusted the bottom cable to attain a healthy amount of free play after I loosened it so much to see if the clutch actuator arm actually returned to it's fully opened position and it didn't, I could still push it down a bit. I figured that something was binding somewhere so I liberally sprayed the clutch lever pivot point and the cable itself with white grease and a tad of WD40, trying to force the lube into the cable sheath. After this, I watched the bottom arm to see if it released all the way and it eventually did after I worked the clutch lever maybe 10 times, quickly releasing it so that the arm could achieve full velocity.

I left the bike on the rack, removed the drain plugs on the sump and the oil filter, let it sit until this afternoon. After all fluids circulated and no leaks observed, I took the bike for about a 6 mile spin in the country. I brought a few tools to do a roadside adjustment if required.

The trans went readily into first and I shifted into neutral several time too. No creep was evident at all which was cool! I took it through the gears at full throttle up to just shy of 100 mph and no slipping!!! Then the real test began to see if it would slip under a load, in a higher gear at the torque peak, 2,500 rpm's?????? I kept my perception on alert to any slipping, change in sound or rpm's raising without the matching speed??? I tried this several times and not a bit of slippage was evident at all:laugh:

I had a clutch replacement set up at a local Triumph dealer, for next Saturday and I was going to tell him to order the Barnett Kevlar clutch and to make sure he had all the parts he needed so I could leave it there and pick it up sometime next week. The total was quoted at right around $700 total, with a few other minor services performed.

I pray that I'm not celebrating prematurely but I plan on a long ride this Saturday to check it out!

Thanks for the opinions my Friends.

Sam:)

Labor day update on the clutch issue!

I'm happy to report that the slipping clutch was corrected by a proper freeplay adjustment at the lower lever arm and clutch lever with a good cable and cable end lube job!

120 mile ridden today in weather from 75 to 90 at speeds from 60 to 80, with roll-ons from most any speed and the clutch was absolutely locked up:p

Happy Holiday to all.:)

Sam

Back