2011 Touring won't power up to start (resolved)

This page may also be helpful....there is no flasher relay on the touring, so don't go looking for it as it is part of the the instrument cluster.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    214.7 KB · Views: 16
Issue: Initial power cycle doesn't happen, so start button does nothing

Symptoms:
With ignition key to on:
Fuel pump does not spin up / prime
Limited instrument lights
- neutral light out, high beam works
- yellow engine light out, oil light on
- gas gauge inop
- starter switch doesn't engage starter / press it, nothing happens
- That lack of a power-up cycle seems to be the issue. Like when you leave the kill switch engaged, nothing happens when you turn the key.

Some good clues here:
The first one is that the Oil light is ON - that indicates that the ignition circuit, through the Key -> Fuse 5 -> Instruments is GOOD
That is really important piece of data.
You can validate this if you like by checking for 12V at Fuse 5 - put your meter -ve probe on battery negative and touch red probe to the metal tabs on top of the fuse - no need to remove the fuse!
You should have 12V at both sides of fuse 5 when key is on.
All of the stuff I highlighted in RED is because the ECU is not powered.

So - we know that the ignition circuit is good at the instruments - that same line then goes via the kill/run switch and then through the alarm connector interlock before going to the ECU
So step 1 - find the alarm connector - it is under the tank on right side

OEM_Connector_Locations.jpg

Check that the bypass plug is fully seated in the main-harness connector and is 'locked/latched' in place - pull on the two black wire loops in the bypass and ensure that they are not loose or broken.
Try to probe into the terminals with your meter if you can (use a needle or pin if you need something finer to contact the terminals or even puncture through the insulation of the wire loop)
You should have 12V at pin1 and pin 2 (pins 1 & 2 are the 'short' loop' - see below)

Alarm_Connector.jpg

- if you do NOT have 12V there with Kill Switch set to Run, then problem with the Kill/Run switch or connections to it,
If you do NOT, then find the connector coming from the right bar-switch and check that it is fully engaged and locked in place.
If that checks out but you do not have 12V at pins 1 & 2 of that alarm connector, please report and I will give further instruction for pursuing this path

If you DO have 12V at pins 1 & 2, then next potential issue would be the Main ECU Relay
First check for power at both sides of Fuse 6 (using method described above)
If that is good then I would look to the relay itself as being a problem

Let me know how you get on with the above tests and I will be able to tell more from those results.

I'm not too far away from you - house call is not out of the question if we can't resolve remotely

Try this and its free... Borrow a friends motorcycle battery that is known to be in good order and replace your battery with it. I have seen Rockets do some odd things when the battery had a poor or damaged cell and check the connections / ground... If your problems go away its an easy fix...

Just my .02

B

Update: OK, though this wasn't my first guess, the Root cause was determined to be a bad tune applied to the bike by the dealer. They re-applied the tune and all is fine. Looks like the bike was failing some power-on self check and not spinning up the fuel pump or starter. Thank you all for all your great suggestions. this time, it ended up being something really off-the-wall.

im having the same symptoms, when the key is turn to ON, the tachometer sweeps , no fuel pump prime, no stepper motor and secondary throttle noise, also tuneecu wont detect my ecu.

Probably a different problem as you have a different model. Possibly the white wire in the ignition switch has come unsoldered. Check the link in my signature for some stuff that may be useful.

btw, this thread was 4 years old.

i have already fixed the ignition few months back, the soldered part came off. re soldered then did the DIY headlight relay mod. then the bike was ok for few months.

Back