Is the 2009 Rocket III a 'Roadster' or is the seller a big fat liar?

• Yes it is a Roadster and has buttloads of power

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Kameena Singh

Standard Bore
Hi everyone, I am new to the forum and am very close to purchasing a Rocket III this week. I just need some clarifications about the bike I have checked out:
The bike in question is a 2009 Rocket III and the seller keeps telling me it is a 'roadster.'
Based on the research I have done, I think 'Roadster' came out in 2010, with the new footpeg position and 10 more horsepower? Is this correct? Is the seller lying to me by calling his 2009 Rocket III a 'Roadster' or what? Is it really a Rocket III Classic or plain old Rocket III? Or is it actually a Roadster?

I think the most distinguishing factor to determine if it is in fact a 'Roadster' is if it has the ABS. I am not sure if it has ABS because I wasn't aware of all this when I met the guy to see his bike....

Thanks for clearing it up for me. I am in love with the bike and if I don't buy it this week I'm sure someone else is going to snatch it up....

a classic will have a two tone paint job,floor boards,ect. i don't think that it is a roadster.
2009 is a good year. probably not abs.
good luck with your bike and then go to introduce yourself and tell us a little or lot about yourself.

Thanks TURBO200R4,
So what are the differences between this 2009 Rocket III and a 2010 Rocket III Roadster? Does anyone have photos that show the differences in the position of the footpegs?

I AM SURE THE EXPERTS WILL BE ALONG SHORTLY. sorry/caps

Same engine and trans. No ABS on the 09 and definitely not a roadster as yhey came out in 10. Having said that if the bike is comfortable for you then absolutely nothing wrong with tue 09...I have one that I like alot

The seller is not necessarily "lying" to you. Most people (who don't know them well) consider all rockets either a roadster or touring. Prior to 10, there technically wasn't a roadster or touring. Just standard, classic, or tourer. In 10 they changed the names and certain body characteristics. The power plants are the same. The line was revised into only roadster and touring models. The roadster was the cruiser set up with rearward moved pegs and the fat rear end. The touring was a bagger with the narrow rear end. That's a very short summary. Bottom line, if it's an 09 it's a standard or classic (one has pegs most likely and solid color stock paint, the other has two tone paint and driver floorboards). By 09 the update kit was incorporated so buy either with confidence.

Thanks everyone especially cardinal93! What is the "update kit" ?
And what is the point of the rearward moved pegs? Are they moved back a lot so you're sitting in more of a crouched position than a cruiser position? I guess I'll just have to find a Triumph Stealership near me and see how the pegs on the newer models look....

I've got a classic and the standard was the only other one I ever rode so I can't speak to how far back or feel for it regarding the roadster. Would say definitely test ride. In late 08 triumph made some important changes to certain parts (wiring harness, cam tensioner guides, output bearing, detent spring, second gear). They incorporated these changes as stock in the new ones and provided (made available at a reasonable cost) an update kit for those of us with the original builds. Some needed the parts some don't, but either way, by 09 they were incorporated :)
The ABS was the only other big change that's come down the line on the newer bikes. A would love to have abs, but not at the cost of giving up my classic!

Have a look here; it's mostly accurate. Then I'd suggest google search for images of each model.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triumph_Rocket_III

The main changes with the Roadster were ABS, addition of gear indicator and fuel gauge and increase in power - mostly to cart the enormous 2pipe exhaust system around. '09 and earlier had a 3 pipe system.

It is quite common for ill informed or unscrupulous sellers to refer to all Rockets that aren't Tourings as Roadsters. It's also common for people to call any of the older models "classics" and also to confuse/interchange the terms Touring and Tourer.

Many, many bikes are now hybrids to some degree due to customising.

Bottom line is that you should be getting what you think you're getting but more importantly that you can refer to it correctly here when asking questions or for assistance. Different models made need different answers.

Three exhaust pipes - RIII Standard or Classic. Two-tone paint job & floorboards - Classic.
Single Headlight - R3T - Touring
Two headlights and two exhaust pipes - R3R - Roadster.

Of course, this is how they came from the factory. If somebody has changed the exhaust, or added floorboards, then all that may change.

If it is a 2009 model, then it will be either a RIII, R3C, or R3T. If it is a 2010 model manufactured in 2009, then it will be an R3R or R3T.

Whichever model it is, unless it has been abused, it should be a good bike and give you good service. The early teething troubles with some bikes were totally eliminated by then.

Back