2005 Rocket Purchase

Going to check out a 2005 Rocket with 19K on the clock and intermittent starting issues. Owner says no other problems. I think I can solve the starting. Any other things to check on a test ride? Thanks!
New relay would be one of the first things I would do, plus cleaning the cable ends you are in a more corrosive environment.

He states that one headlight is out also. Possible bad ignition switch?

Bring a cheap H4 bulb and that may be all it is.

I never had the ignition issue so can't say for sure but I don't recall the switch causing headlight issues.

It was the other way around. The early Rockets have the headlights powered through the main wiring harness.
That in turn could 'overload' some key switches that had questionable soldering jobs and cause starting issues.

It can be fixed by resoldering the connections inside the switch. Instructions are on here somewhere.

In addition you could install a wireless remote starter kit to avoid the key switch.

You can prevent this by wiring the headlights through their own circuit.

I used Gen 1 of the Eastern Beaver Rocket 3 Dual Headlight bypass kit H4 Kits - money well spent.

I see he now has a wiring option to let you disable the headlights without pulling a fuse. Thats handy for
doing things like TuneBoy/PC/TuneECU work so you don't drain the battery.

Last edited:
It is a early bike if it hasn't had a headlight relay kit like the Eastern Beaver then the ignition switch could be going bad. Personally if its the switch I wouldn't let that stop me. Maybe use it to barter down if needed. It really depends on what he is asking. Just recently there was a 05 with corbin bags and a electrical problem for sale down there in Florida they were asking 3500. Since it had corbin bags I'd say that was a great price. But ya 3k is a normal fair value for a 05/06 in my opinion.

It is a early bike if it hasn't had a headlight relay kit like the Eastern Beaver then the ignition switch could be going bad. Personally if its the switch I wouldn't let that stop me. Maybe use it to barter down if needed. It really depends on what he is asking. Just recently there was a 05 with corbin bags and a electrical problem for sale down there in Florida they were asking 3500. Since it had corbin bags I'd say that was a great price. But ya 3k is a normal fair value for a 05/06 in my opinion.

That is the bike I am going to check out up in Jax. Looks interesting and I spoke with the owner. I will see how it looks and what may be involved

That is the bike I am going to check out up in Jax. Looks interesting and I spoke with the owner. I will see how it looks and what may be involved

Did you make it up there to inspect the bike? The Corbin bags, Corbin Fairing and Jardine Pipes alone cost more new than the asking price...

Someone (hint, hint) might be interested in the Corbin bits.

Did you make it up there to inspect the bike? The Corbin bags, Corbin Fairing and Jardine Pipes alone cost more new than the asking price...

Someone (hint, hint) might be interested in the Corbin bits.

I did get up there. Bike looks good but only started very briefly and died out. Didn't start again Has the dreaded click when trying to start. I will figure out the wiring issues. It does have the Corbin bags and fairing, Jardine exhaust, custom pegs and mirrors, air horn, and piaa driving lights. I could part it out for more than I paid. Did the deal and will be towing it home in a day or two. Only 19k on it, so I think it will be a real good runner. I can't lose for what I paid.

Back