2005 Rocket Purchase

daytonageo

.060 Over
Ride
2005 Triumph Rocket
Going to check out a 2005 Rocket with 19K on the clock and intermittent starting issues. Owner says no other problems. I think I can solve the starting. Any other things to check on a test ride? Thanks!

Small potential for Output Shaft Bearing issue (put on backwards in the factory) on early 04-06 models.

Ask to see its maintenance records.
As per my recent post on my friends 2005 he bought last summer, if the damper bearing(s) were put on
incorrectly they usually exhibited issues 10-20K and were fixed under warranty.

Some have made it to 40K though and my '05 made it to 80K.

His has 23K but appears to have the issue. TBD

Listen for grinding or clunking noise on the lower left side where the drive shaft connects to the engine.

It can be fixed...

Here is what his sounds like with the drive shaft removed. Mine was similar.

IMG_3792.mov

Last edited:
Small potential for Output Shaft Bearing issue (put on backwards in the factory) on early 04-06 models.
It can be fixed...

Here is what his sounds like with the drive shaft removed. Mine was similar.

Can this be done w/o removing motor from frame? It looks like a maybe depending on internals

Can this be done w/o removing motor from frame? It looks like a maybe depending on internals

I didn't do the work myself so I defer to the guru's here that have.
It was big bucks but they replaced the entire assembly & cover - I want to say it was $1500 with labor.

It would be significantly less if you just needed to replace the bearings and can do the work at home.

Last edited:
Nothing to lose sleep over but another more common issue back in the day was the Primary TPS.
My first two went bad pretty quickly but the 3rd one is over 13 years old. I carry a spare just in case - <$150.

old TPS # T1245003
new TPS # T1245113

Symptoms are poor idle, stalling or surging.

Don't pull it but the inside of the PTPS sensor housing is either blue or black. Blue=GOOD T1245113!

My spare has external markings = "A28F0 A 2S11C"

Again, not a show stopper but some of us had Stepper Motors cause the same symptoms.
Easy replacement or some of us just disconnected it and manually set the idle.

For that price I wouldn't worry about these items.

Starting problems don't get me started (sorry) make sure you get as much info about whats already been done to resolve starting issue so you know where to go to next good luck:thumbsup:

Back