I played around a bit with that online dyno...

A 600-pound bike with a 180-pound rider needs 90 RWHP to break 12 seconds in the 1/4.

A stock Rock has 140 HP at the crank, which is about 1 HP per cubic inch. It is unlikely that Triumph's new 1500 will have more than 1 HP per cubic inch at the crank.

If Triumph does give the 1500 1 HP per cubic inch at the crank, that'll equate to about 91 HP, which in very generous terms would be 78 RWHP.

A 600-pound bike with a 180-pound rider would pull mid 12's in the 1/4, which is easily better than a Speedmaster or America.

I just can't see any of us captains, who are used to very nice performance, switching to a 1500. I do think Triumph could easily compete with Harleys if Triumph gives the bike 1 HP per cubic inch at the crank. I don't see the 1500 stealing from Rocket sales so much as destroying America/Speedmaster sales.

That is a niche that Triumph needs to fill though, 865cc to 2300cc is not much variety. And that is the range in which most cruiser sales are made in the US.

I played around a bit with that online dyno...

A 600-pound bike with a 180-pound rider needs 90 RWHP to break 12 seconds in the 1/4.

A stock Rock has 140 HP at the crank, which is about 1 HP per cubic inch. It is unlikely that Triumph's new 1500 will have more than 1 HP per cubic inch at the crank.

If Triumph does give the 1500 1 HP per cubic inch at the crank, that'll equate to about 91 HP, which in very generous terms would be 78 RWHP.

A 600-pound bike with a 180-pound rider would pull mid 12's in the 1/4, which is easily better than a Speedmaster or America.

I just can't see any of us captains, who are used to very nice performance, switching to a 1500. I do think Triumph could easily compete with Harleys if Triumph gives the bike 1 HP per cubic inch at the crank. I don't see the 1500 stealing from Rocket sales so much as destroying America/Speedmaster sales.

Good analysis. What's the point if it doesn't get more than 1 HP per CI. Might as well get a V-Max.

1500cc would fit in with a 2 cylinder rocket motor. Even sideways they would be wide. Maybe just keep it inline with the frame like the R3.

I heard from the Triumph guys at sturgis

I heard that a mid size is coming out and all I can remember is that it is going to be a belt drive I guess its true what ever is said in sturgis stays in sturgis ????? is that how it goes :D

Here is an "artist's rendering" of what they think it will look like...

There are plenty of 1500 cc bikes out there - Harleys.

However, if they doubled the size of the parallel vertical twin, I might consider it if it weighed less than 600 lb. and had over 100 hp. The Rocket is a bit of a moose for me when I'm not rolling. Great power though.
An 1800 V4 would dot it!!:D

Back