10k mile service - DIY (also, Spark Plugs Not Tight & Wire Boots Not Pushed On!)

What a great post.
New to me 2020 R3R with 17K km, has a bit of a miss at idle. I'm betting that those plugs leads are loose.
Sure as sh#t! I get the tank, coil packs and carbon canister off and I can lift the leads out of the plugs recesses with no resistance. 🤦
Now, I understand that it may be an awkward job to seat them properly, but if you are being paid to be a mechanic, then do it properly.
I couldn't give a bike back to a customer, look them in the eye and tell him or her, "Job done", if I had just dropped the leads into the hole.
Poor form.

IMG_20230428_135005.jpg
And whilst you have your tank off, take a close look at your loom, just forward of the battery nestled in the spine of the bike.
It's protected in a plastic tray and tape wrapped, but mine was showing signs of rubbing on the bottom of the tank mount.
A little bit of foam and some tape, has set my mind at ease.

Purring like a kitten, now that plug leads are seated correctly on the plugs.
If your bike has a missfire at idle, I would suggest spending an afternoon doing the plug lead seating operation.
An added bonus is that when leads are seated properly, their collar seals off the plug recess, very well, to stop water ingress.
Five out of six of my plugs were showing signs of corrosion where water had gotten into recess.

Purring like a kitten, now that plug leads are seated correctly on the plugs.
If your bike has a missfire at idle, I would suggest spending an afternoon doing the plug lead seating operation.
An added bonus is that when leads are seated properly, their collar seals off the plug recess, very well, to stop water ingress.
Five out of six of my plugs were showing signs of corrosion where water had gotten into recess.
First confirmation I've read of what I ran into, so not just my bad luck. No telling how many others out there also have loose wires.

I had a really hard time seating those plug wires. It was as if the covers for the opening were too high on the wires- had to push down really hard to get that necessary "click."

Next time I'll look out for those wires running under the tank- thanks.

Back