09 R3T Price Opinions Please

A bit on the high side. Offer 60% of what they are asking & work your way from there. Don't know laws in your area, but here a dealer has to give 90 days, 5000 km warranty on machines sold.

I would print out the KBB and the NADA price pages and show it to him while I present my offer of $6200 (average the two sources). Also tell him you will not go higher as you feel it is a fair high retail average of the two most used price guides. Folks here are right, now is the best time for lower prices.

You are asking the right group. As you notice each response is conservative and frugal with your money. It's hard for me to understand why our motorcycles are under valued. But the facts on pricing are clear. Not a popular bike, and 11 years old. I personally think spending $2,000 more than the average is too high. The dealer will drop the out-the-door price.

I'd go no higher the 6000 if you want it. If they say no walk and search I've seen better deals. Like the guy selling the 14 R3T out there in Nebraska for less the 6k. Once the new rockets flood the markets you'll find a lot more sitting around at better prices.

Hello all,

As the title says I'm looking at an 09 R3T 2 tone. Appears to be in excellent condition, under 6,000 miles. Assume tires are original so will need replacement given the age. Curious about opinions on what would be a reasonable price to pay. I've reviewed NADA ($6,800 ave retail, $4,700 trade in) and KBB ($5,600 ave retail, $4,200 low retail). Dealer's asking $7,999 which on the surface appears way too high.

Would appreciate opinions on what a reasonable price to pay is. I don't mind paying a bit extra for what I'm looking for but I also am not interested in paying a couple grand more than I should.

New to these bikes and don't want to get hosed so would greatly appreciate any input.

Thanks!
Where are you located?

I'd go no higher the 6000 if you want it. If they say no walk and search I've seen better deals. Like the guy selling the 14 R3T out there in Nebraska for less the 6k. Once the new rockets flood the markets you'll find a lot more sitting around at better prices.

I agree, no higher than 6K. It's winter and bikes are slow to move, so depending on how long they've had it, they should be motivated to move it out of their inventory.

We’ve bought 2 similar tourings in the last 2 years. There are better deals out there. Everybody here is telling you about the same thing and I agree.
If you want the bike it’s just a matter of haggling.
I’m not trying to school you, just offering a few ideas you might use making the deal. All of this has been seen before by a seasoned salesman, but there are points here you should make to strengthen your position.

I would politely nitpick-
Ask how to fix the little dings and scratches.
Express concern over the absence of a tach, whether you really care or not.
Express concern about dry rot in the tires.
Express concern about condensation in the final drive and oil, and seals & gasket shrinking since it has obviously sat a lot with so few miles in so many years. Ask what it costs to have the next scheduled maintenance done.
Check the brake pads and verbally note the extreme wear considering the low mileage.
Check the function of all the lights and handlebar controls.
Check for scratches indicating it has been dropped on the ends of the handlebars, mirrors, levers, outside of crashbars and foot boards, and lower outside of the silencers.
Check the fuel gauge, a common touring problem (it isn’t just a loose connection).
Ask if there is a knowledgeable mechanic nearby and about the availability and price of parts.
Ask about the ignition switch (common problem) and if there are relays on all the circuits it controls (the answer is no).
Ask about detent springs failing (common problem), where the broken pieces go (into the oiling system) and what it costs to fix.
Ask about the wobble at highway speed common to tourings, and what it costs to fix that.
Ask about the HP rating compared to a roadster (tourings are detuned).
Sit on it and talk about how heavy it feels, ask him to hold it up while you sit on it with your feet on the boards (lean or shift your weight a little to make him work).

From there I would tell him he has 1 shot to make his best price to which my reply will be yes or no. No haggling.
Unless he comes back under 6000, say no thank you, shake and start towards the door, if he doesn’t stop you, stop and offer 4500, the answer is probly no, pull out cash pretend a quick count so he can see it and ask him to meet you halfway between his last offer and 4500. If he won’t, tell him you’ve got another bike to go look at, make sure he has your number and leave. You can always call him back.

And post some pictures of it...these guys are good and will amaze you with what they can spot in a picture.

Last edited:
We’ve bought 2 similar tourings in the last 2 years. There are better deals out there. Everybody here is telling you about the same thing and I agree.
If you want the bike it’s just a matter of haggling.
I’m not trying to school you, just offering a few ideas you might use making the deal. All of this has been seen before by a seasoned salesman, but there are points here you should make to strengthen your position.

I would politely nitpick-
Ask how to fix the little dings and scratches.
Express concern over the absence of a tach, whether you really care or not.
Express concern about dry rot in the tires.
Express concern about condensation in the final drive and oil, and seals & gasket shrinking since it has obviously sat a lot with so few miles in so many years. Ask what it costs to have the next scheduled maintenance done.
Check the brake pads and verbally note the extreme wear considering the low mileage.
Check the function of all the lights and handlebar controls.
Check for scratches indicating it has been dropped on the ends of the handlebars, mirrors, levers, outside of crashbars and foot boards, and lower outside of the silencers.
Check the fuel gauge, a common touring problem (it isn’t just a loose connection).
Ask if there is a knowledgeable mechanic nearby and about the availability and price of parts.
Ask about the ignition switch (common problem) and if there are relays on all the circuits it controls (the answer is no).
Ask about detent springs failing (common problem), where the broken pieces go (into the oiling system) and what it costs to fix.
Ask about the wobble at highway speed common to tourings, and what it costs to fix that.
Ask about the HP rating compared to a roadster (tourings are detuned).
Sit on it and talk about how heavy it feels, ask him to hold it up while you sit on it with your feet on the boards (lean or shift your weight a little to make him work).

From there I would tell him he has 1 shot to make his best price to which my reply will be yes or no. No haggling.
Unless he comes back under 6000, say no thank you, shake and start towards the door, if he doesn’t stop you, stop and offer 4500, the answer is probly no, pull out cash pretend a quick count so he can see it and ask him to meet you halfway between his last offer and 4500. If he won’t, tell him you’ve got another bike to go look at, make sure he has your number and leave. You can always call him back.

And post some pictures of it...these guys are good and will amaze you with what they can spot in a picture.

Back