You might think coil failure!

bigern2300

.060 Over
As i reported the other day, back months ago the dealer replaced the center coil which had supposedly died causing the center cylinder to cut out. Well, the other day i was out riding when the center cylinder started cutting out again. I thought hell no...no way i could be losing another coil on the same cylinder. Got home and raised the tank and started wiggling wires with the engine running. Lo and behold, when i wiggled the power wires to the center coil, the cylinder came to life! Closer inspection of the connectors reveiled that they were jampacked full of dirt and grime. Also the female connector had spread and gotten loose. If you look at the 12 volt power connectors to the coils, they are not of the best design...pretty much designed to to capture and contain any dirt or water that happens to fly by. I plan to change out these connectors with somekind of shrinkable, waterpruff connector. Also on these coil power wires, you have to be carefull when removing them...don't just grab them and wiggle them off. If you look in the backside of the connector, they have a small metal release tab in the connector. Bigern

Some of us have been packing all of those connectors under the tank with di electric grease. It can't hurt... Well maybe if the tank slams down on your hand....

Bigern,
What was the symtom / reaction when the middle cyl gave you problems? I'm having a problem with the motor cutting out between 2100 & 2300 rpm constant speed.....any gear. Ok below that rpm, ok above that rpm, ok going thru that rpm. It feels / sounds like an electrical problem.

Thoughts?

Pretty much like you described. Constant throttle at any speed or gear, the cylinder would cut out with no backfire or popping. Under hard acceleration, the cylinder would for the most part stay lit. Once it started doing it, at idle the cylinder was completely dead. As for the dielectric grease, i think i've got nearly every connector packed with that stuff from when i pulled the motor. The stuff is worth Toms' weight in gold.:D

Back