The Infamous Speedo, Odo, Fuel Gage, Horn Failure - Remedies...?

Prof Busa

Standard Bore
Ride
Rocket
Dear Members: I have been riding for over 30 years, and currently live in Singapore where prices of everything are insane. I bought a 2012 Rocket 3 Roadster from an ~80 year old "uncle" who could only speak Chinese. The bike looked great and ran perfect, though the rear tire was shot. Really enjoyed the initial ride home, but took it to the shop the next day for a new tire. The changed the oil, lubed up the necessaries, and I picked it up. Immediately noticed the speedo is not working, nor is the odometer, fuel gage, or horn. The shop top mechanic was the original owner of this bike and the Uncle was the second. I trust the mechanic completely. He found out the the speedo sensor had been replaced and the Uncle was advised to replace the speedo, but did not. I contacted the Uncle today and he stated that the speedo would work intermittently, so he gave up trying to fix it as it would start working again. For me, I really would like to have a speedo or at least a fuel gage!!!

I searched the internet high and low, it seems this problem is common. But each remedy seems different. I am tempted to buy a cheap aftermarket speedo/fuel gage combo from China, but not sure it will work either....

Has anyone gotten to the bottom of this issue? It is too common and too weird not to be something we can pin down. I would be extremely appreciative of a point in the right direction to get this solved. The bike has now been at the shop for two weeks and I want to ride.

Thank you

There is a problem that have similar symptoms as what you posted.
The problem is a shorted clutch switch or someone shorted it to get it to start.
The test fo this problem is to put bike in neutral and try to start without pulling the clutch lever
If it starts u have a bad clutch switch

Back