Wonder what It weighs

They are maintenance free so long as you don't get any foreign objects between the belt and the cog wheels like a small stone. When that happens, it destroys the belt or the cog wheel and then replacement is in order.

I look at belt drives as a manufacturing shortcut. Easy to apply in assembly, alignment not as critical and lower overall cost, especially compared to an enclosed final drive. The problem arises upon replacement. Major dissassembly is usually required simply because the belt in endless. You have a swingarm pivot in the way.

In my eyes, there is something disconcerting about depending on a rubba band for motivation. I'm into shaft (with it's equally disconcerting torque -climb the pinion-unless a Guzzi reaction) or chain, preferably 'O' ring variety.

One reason I bought the Rock was the final drive. Had it come with a belt, I probably would have passed.....Of course we do have output bearing problems.

The dumbest thing about the new Max is the driveshaft on a drag bike.
I will take the belt before the slop in the rockets on off drive shaft arrangement. The C-14 has no lash at all in the shaft drive so why cant the Italians fix theirs. Those new belts are gettin smaller all the time because they are getting stronger all the time.The belt on my Raider is carbon kevlar not just kevlar. Who HO EH.. If the belt guards are in place there is very little chance of stone damage except if ya live on a farm dirt road. The chain on my 14 has stretched more than the belt on my Raider.

Last edited:
My last sled.....Ya, Jack I know, piss on snow......(It rhymes and it wasn't intentional)

My last sled made 160 at the crank and it was belt of course, well, CVT. The belts were Ayramid/Kevlar and lasted, oh, couple hours.

I still prefer a drive shaft though I prefer a para-lever like Guzzi and the BMW GS Series have. No 'climb the pinion'.

I guess that's why dirt bikes and adventure tourers don't have belts. Dirt, gravel and belts don't mix.

Personally, I think belts look cheap but then I have the 'whizzer' mentality or the Kawasaki KZ400 mentality. belts are great on lawnmowers, that's it.

Belts are great, without em I couldn't keep my **** pants up. That's where the belong. This is my fifth shaft drive bike and 2 shaft drive quads. never touched a one of em. They do suck up power, but the Rocket has loads to spare, who gives a krap about 10%

Yea the old fart mentality just like the only ones that dont like ****** rockets are the ones who never road one. What do 90 percent of overhead cam cars use to turn the cam? Flip, belts no good on dirt ,well DAH. Old ladys Toyota says to change at 90.000 miles.Seen them with 150.000 on them and gettin better all the time. Mabey if the rocket had a large belt to cushion the drive train you wouldn't have all them trans. problems. Belt use certainly is not declining is it? Get out your manual and look at the poorly designed torque limiter thingy that you can eliminate with belt.

Last edited:
Yea the old fart mentality just like the only ones that dont like ****** rockets are the ones who never road one. What do 90 percent of overhead cam cars use to turn the cam? Flip, belts no good on dirt ,well DAH. Old ladys Toyota says to change at 90.000 miles.Seen them with 150.000 on them and gettin better all the time. Mabey if the rocket had a large belt to cushion the drive train you wouldn't have all them trans. problems. Belt use certainly is not declining is it? Get out your manual and look at the poorly designed torque limiter thingy that you can eliminate with belt.

The defense of the belt is under your belt, Jack.

Except your "old fart mentality" opening is a bit below the belt.

Jamie:D

Last edited:
Torque dampener. It doesn't reduce the peak torque. Just delays it enough to keep things from breaking.

Where did I say It reduces peak torque? Yes It delays the shock which puts more slop in the drive train. Twin belts on a rocket would make the smothest bike in history.

Maybe "Old Guys" sounds better than "Old Farts".

old guys.jpg

Back