Wonder what It weighs

I'm sure you could knock 150-200 lbs off of the Rocket's weight... .:)

It's a pretty bike for sure. I have to say, the first thought when I saw the pictures was Honda VTX. But, it is a pretty bike. I'm glad it wasn't an option when I bought my Rocket, it would have made the decision much more difficult.. :) I can see Triumph building several very different models off of this engine.

Last edited:
Wonder if it's a 360 degree twin with a counter balancer, or a 180 degree twin to help balance it out? Or 270 degree like some of the Bonnie motors? Looks like there might be room for a counter balancer in the lower front of the motor.

Look! The exhaust is all smooth and flowing! Without hex bolts sticking out everywhere!

Last edited:
Most, if not all belt drives are now lifetime maintenance free.

They are maintenance free so long as you don't get any foreign objects between the belt and the cog wheels like a small stone. When that happens, it destroys the belt or the cog wheel and then replacement is in order.

I look at belt drives as a manufacturing shortcut. Easy to apply in assembly, alignment not as critical and lower overall cost, especially compared to an enclosed final drive. The problem arises upon replacement. Major dissassembly is usually required simply because the belt in endless. You have a swingarm pivot in the way.

In my eyes, there is something disconcerting about depending on a rubba band for motivation. I'm into shaft (with it's equally disconcerting torque -climb the pinion-unless a Guzzi reaction) or chain, preferably 'O' ring variety.

One reason I bought the Rock was the final drive. Had it come with a belt, I probably would have passed.....Of course we do have output bearing problems.

Maintenance-Free?

They are maintenance free so long as you don't get any foreign objects between the belt and the cog wheels like a small stone. When that happens, it destroys the belt or the cog wheel and then replacement is in order.

I agree, from HD experience. The most lethal thing is a mixture of freshly laid (or melting under the sun) tar AND gravel, the former causing the latter to stick to the belt and to chew it up in no time. That does not crop up often, although European side roads are still patched up with tar and gravel, but when it does, one starts hating the cheap rubber band. Like Flip, one of the (few rational) reasons I picked the Rocket is its shaft drive. Jamie

My bud picked up a stone on his RoadKing. $650.00 to replace a 99.99% good belt with at least 25,000 miles left on it.

Back when H-D first introduced the Evo motor and the belt drive, a friend of mine was working for Rider mag and he was testing a Tour Glide (Road Glide with a trunk). He picked up a nail in the rear tire and had it replaced at the local H-D shop. A few days later at a rally, we noticed a large puddle of oil below the front cog. Apparently the tech had tightened the belt too tight and it broke the seal on the front cog.

Back