Regarding your "lighter cheque book" Britman .. how much of the restoration did you do yourself ? Wouldn't have thought it would have cost all that much for the refurbish .. were you referring to the initial purchase price as well ? Even in the States a tidy original TR6 would demand a decent price I guess.

First and foremost I really appreciate the kind comments, secondly sorry gentlemen there will be no shared custody, children yes-motorcycles no. In reference to overall costs I am truly satisfied. The bike is a matching numbers machine that had just had the transmission and motor gone through by an alleged restorer before the PO met the truck. The accident broke his arm and the bike sat in a open shed for five years damaged since he never rode again. I loaded the machine into my truck for $2800.00 making sure the engine was not stuck after sitting that long. The bike was running that afternoon and a compression check did prove it had at least a fresh top end. A Boyer EI already installed so I knew I had good bones to start with. The wiring was horrific, headlight switch was by passed, piss poor connections and no rhyme or reason to the layout, clutch discs were sticking and worn, brake linings in the front were loose, but there was no frame damage I could find and bike tracked perfect. Upon replacing the gas tank, rear fender, handlebars, headlight bucket and tons of other smaller bits and pieces like parcel grid mirrors and so forth I became a frequent visitor to EBay. I did have a professional painter do the tank and fenders and I painted the side cover and oil tank to save a buck or two. Overall I probably have a total of 4000.00 to 4500.00 in the Old Girl so I am pretty sure I am on the plus side if I ever want to sell. Trust me guys if you ever want to go back in time after riding a Rocket, throw your leg over a vintage machine. You will really appreciate such inventions as disc brakes and electric starters. Again thank you for all the reviews and I hope everyone else spinning wrenches during these long arse cold months success............

I already have a separate tool box full of Whitworth and assorted homemade and factory pullers just for these creatures. Along the same lines, Did you know the Germans tried to bomb the Lucas factory doing WWII? Fortunately they couldn't locate it because they had their lights on...........

Back