WHY HAVE THE BRIGHTEST TAILLIGHTS POSSIBLE?

1olbull

Riding Motor Since 1950
Ride
2012 R3R "Kong" - 2011 R3R "YurMama"
I have ranted many times about motorcycle head and tail lights being dangerously inadequate. Over recent years scientific testing has illuminated, exposed and proven this to be fact.

Because vehicle driver/rider research is ongoing and always changing, in the past years I have attended four seaerate courses regarding human factors just to keep up. I shall attend a fifth in Arizona later this month.

The term "Lead Vehicle" has to do with the closing speed/distance recognition of a following driver. The term "Looming" has to do with the subtended angular velocity of the driver's vision of the lead vehicle. This is simply the angle of the driver's view of the taillights horizontal width or the vehicle width and his ability to discern closing speed and distance in order to avoid a rear end impact.

Factors considered are: the discernible width of the Lead Vehicle; relative velocity (speed of the following vehicle minus speed of the Lead Vehicle), and the distance between the Lead Vehicle and the approaching vehicle at the moment of interest.
Likely you can readily see that just the reduced width of a motor versus that of a cage puts us at greater risk.
At night, only the taillights are cues for the vehicle driver approaching from the rear. The keys are the taillight width and taillight brightness. For us on motors, having just one taillight eliminates the width factor and leaves only the brightness factor. MUY PELIGROSO! Bright is best! Proper aim is paramount.

I realize this is somewhat technical, but I feel it is very important knowledge for a motor rider to know. Your motor's lighting is critical to your safety, as is an understanding of your perception response time and the distance necessary to safely avoid a hazard at speed.

This site does not allow the posting of .pdf files, so I will supply the two I feel most "digestable" if requested with an email.
Happy New Year & Safe riding!

I have ranted many times about motorcycle head and tail lights being dangerously inadequate. Over recent years scientific testing has illuminated, exposed and proven this to be fact.

Because vehicle driver/rider research is ongoing and always changing, in the past years I have attended four seaerate courses regarding human factors just to keep up. I shall attend a fifth in Arizona later this month.

The term "Lead Vehicle" has to do with the closing speed/distance recognition of a following driver. The term "Looming" has to do with the subtended angular velocity of the driver's vision of the lead vehicle. This is simply the angle of the driver's view of the taillights horizontal width or the vehicle width and his ability to discern closing speed and distance in order to avoid a rear end impact.

Factors considered are: the discernible width of the Lead Vehicle; relative velocity (speed of the following vehicle minus speed of the Lead Vehicle), and the distance between the Lead Vehicle and the approaching vehicle at the moment of interest.
Likely you can readily see that just the reduced width of a motor versus that of a cage puts us at greater risk.
At night, only the taillights are cues for the vehicle driver approaching from the rear. The keys are the taillight width and taillight brightness. For us on motors, having just one taillight eliminates the width factor and leaves only the brightness factor. MUY PELIGROSO! Bright is best! Proper aim is paramount.

I realize this is somewhat technical, but I feel it is very important knowledge for a motor rider to know. Your motor's lighting is critical to your safety, as is an understanding of your perception response time and the distance necessary to safely avoid a hazard at speed.

This site does not allow the posting of .pdf files, so I will supply the two I feel most "digestable" if requested with an email.
Happy New Year & Safe riding!

Wear a $20 reflective material vest. I carry one in the truck to wear in case I have to stop at night and get out of the truck.

And that is why I have intgrated LED Brake/Tail and Indicator lights. I wish somone did just a bulb (and socket) so that an easy mod to existing indicators can be done.

Wear a $20 reflective material vest. I carry one in the truck to wear in case I have to stop at night and get out of the truck.
YEP nothing better than those vests and other reflective material on helmets jackets paints etc they work better than the brake turn and running lights etc

YEP nothing better than those vests and other reflective material on helmets jackets paints etc they work better than the brake turn and running lights etc

You be on the correct track here, Art.
However, studies have shown that random placed retro-reflective is not so helpful . . . it should define a recognized shape or form to a driver. Application to the head, shoulders, arms & back of a rider would be best.
A driver may clearly see something, but unless he can recognize it as something he has experienced before, he is unlikely to respond to it until too late.
Brake, turn & running lights are mandated as FMVSS (federal motor vehicle safety standard) and are superior because they are commonly in use and easily identified by all drivers.

upload_2019-1-3_19-8-53.jpeg

Proper aim is paramount.
And this is a bigger issue than it appears. :banghead: Triumph!!

I know in France that riders have to have reflective patches on helmets. Even non-residents should fit them. As a result many EU made lids now come with reflective patches built in.
There was (is?) a mandate for reflective patches on Jackets in France. This however is pretty useless if you have a top-case.

I would be interested to see research into the effectiveness of combined clusters vs separated and discrete lights at night. Also SURFACE AREA GLOW vs PINPOINT BRIGHTNESS SHINE.

Legal requirement here in all vehicles (except bikes). And quite a few other countries. Quite a few bike dealers now throw one under the seat of scooters they sell.

However, studies have shown that random placed retro-reflective is not so helpful .
tapeday.JPG tapenight.JPG
trunktapeday.JPG trunktapenight.JPG

Folk have commented on the rear ones. It is 100% 3M tape. The front is teh so called Black Diamond tape.

If you are going to do it - I would go for the certified 2" wide stuff mandated for TRUCK bodies.

ime what gets lights noticed MOST is contrast. dark/light

Back