Why are people selling their Rockets?

Mines going to be for sale soon. I never could get comfortable on it for long rides like my Harley. Never felt I was one with the machine like my Harley so off it goes. My plan is to buy a used Road Glide and then put Harleys crate motor (I think 131ci) which has output of just a little less than a stock Rocket which for me is more than enough.

I can't think of a motorcycle that I have had that wasn't fun. They all have their pluses and minuses. Ripping though the canyons isn't my top priority anymore but I don't think I could get another bike that didn't have that capability. Everything changes as you age although some to a lessor degree. I still love to go fast and I still love the twisties but no where near as much as I use to. At times I just want to cruise and take in the sights. It doesn't matter what you ride as long as you are happy with it. I will try anything on two wheels including scooters. I love those also. :thumbsup:

Ok, I get it: We buy toys, own them for a while and sell them again. I used to do that with the bikes I owned: Bought about a shiny new ride, rode it for a year or two and then sold it again. Because a new, more shiny toy came along. The Rocket, I thought, is a different thing altogether. Certainly nor a toy. For me, it represents the pinnacle of my 35 year motorcylcle career and - approaching the age of 60 - probably is the last bike I bought. Afer all: What could possibly surpass a Rocket?

I was surprised to learn that quite a few owners of the new Rocket 3 are selling their bikes after a short while. Some just after a few weeks of ownership. Why is that?

When you buy a Rocket, you know what your are about to get yourself into, don't you? It should be a well-known fact that the bike is very heavy, very powerful and very demanding as far as the rider and his/her skills are concerned. It is not that this bike pretends to be a docile Honda CB500.

When I was waiting for my rocket 3R to arrive, I watched every single YT video from early owners. One could feel the prospective owners anticipation for the machine and the impatience in the waiting time. But after taking delivery, some owners seemed to be disappointed quickly. The reasons seemed to be excuses: The design did not appeal, the fuel consumption seemed too high. Not very credible, if you ask me. Even my T dealer tells me that he sees a pattern. He is guessing the bike is just too much for some.

I have ridden my R3r a lot this fall, a couple of longer trips of 250 to 400+ kms, mostly mountain roads and a few alpine passes. The whole time I am either (a) super chilled, (b) giggling like a lunatic or (c) going "****, yeah!" I have yet to discover a flaw. What did I miss?

It's been more than 45 years that riding a motorcycle, it's my pleasure and I always have the chance to be able to afford the best motorcycles for me.
From the 125cc (after the 50cc) I had a lot of trail, road, sport, custom, 2 stroke, 4 stroke, single cylinder, 2 cyl, 3 cyl (500H1 Kawa), 4cyl (in line or V4) models and 6cyl (4 Honda), Harley and Indian.
I really enjoyed my F6c 1500 Valkyrie but this new rocket is irreplaceable, I can't find any fault with it. What happiness with this R3 GT and I am not about to sell it!
Agree with you entirely I love my rocket gt im just about to turn 61 had lots of bikes in the past but this one is head and shoulders above any other 🚀

Mines going to be for sale soon. I never could get comfortable on it for long rides like my Harley. Never felt I was one with the machine like my Harley so off it goes. My plan is to buy a used Road Glide and then put Harleys crate motor (I think 131ci) which has output of just a little less than a stock Rocket which for me is more than enough.
I dunno if 121bhp and 131ft-lbs of torque would be considered "just a little less" :)
Never mind, if going that route makes you happy, more power to you! 👍

I can't speak for others but I've been on a journey to find a good match. I went through a number of bikes and enjoyed every one of them but, along the way, I found that it wasn't so much about the virtues of any given motorcycle as it is about defining who I am as a motorcyclist. Gladly monogamy does not apply to motorcycle love.

Perhaps a bad example but like to cook well. So, how many different kinds of pans, or knives do you figure I ought to have?

The BMW K1600 GT was one of those 'lust at first sight' motorcycles. 40K miles it took to decide it was too "automotive" for me, I sold it and moved on. On the other hand my '14 KTM 1290r is one that will have my asking the undertaker to build my casket a little roomier, it's coming with me wherever I go: It will prove a worthy companion in Heaven. Alternatively, it can outrun the flames of Hell. ....

And so it goes.
I told the wife to bury me with my '08 Ducati Hypermotard 1100 🤣. I'll bet that 1290 (Duke?) is a fun bike!

I will try anything on two wheels including scooters. I love those also. :thumbsup:
I did try a scooter once. That was definitely not my thing.
My wife and I was on holiday in Greece and wanted to hire a bike. The biggest thing on 2 wheels that was available was a 200 cc scooter. The place we hired it from advised us not to leave town on that thing but I wanted to see anything else than the town and there was some beautiful hairpin twisties to be tried out. I really wish I had the rocket there. The first turn I took about half the speed that I would have done on the rocket but the back end started to skid out halfway through the turn. I suppose that what you can expect when riding a thing with wheel barrow wheels.

ive had a 2014 Roadster...a 2016 Roadster (Same bike just assembled later)...i had the 2016 new tho...and now a 2020 GT. Loved the two previous rockets but gotta say this GT is another level. Its built really well and handles extremely well!..Fuel consumption currently is 15.9 kms per litre...better than the 2016 by about one to one and half Kilometers per litre.
Luggage is a challenge as i dont like panniers on a bike so have a bag that sits on the passenger seat and/or a backpack...suits me...
The satisfaction from riding this bike is immense!
oh...and im 71 now!.,,and like to use the power!..lol.

S&S 124 is a much better engine and performs rather well.

Back