When It's just not your time to go.........

I agree - he seemed to be unable to do a relatively easy maneuver to just get around it, rather than just braking (with only a slight change in line) and inevitably hitting it.
He has a full 3 seconds between the thing hitting the road and him connecting with it (4 if you count when you can first see it coming adrift)
That is a really long time to be honest to execute avoidance vs panic brake and 'hope' you stop in time. Braking was clearly his only though process.
If you choose a direction and the thing bounces un-naturally into your corrected path, you may not be able to do much about it. OK - the cause is not his fault - but many motorcycle accidents are not CAUSED by the rider - and that is where learning & practicing skills comes into self-preservation.

I totally agree. He braked and kind of started to change lanes. Watch his head, it barely moves, I am thinking target fixation, you go where you look. One of the most basic maneuvers in a Basic MSF Course is an unannounced avoidance maneuver. Look to where you want to be an PUSH on that handle bar. It is amazing how much lateral movement you can get in a hurry. But, I wasn't there and have no idea what really happened other than a piece of debris hit the road in front of him, he hit it and rolled while his bike spun down the road. He walked away and that is a win.

Here is a MSF article, Do I Brake or Do I Swerve.

https://www.msf-usa.org/downloads/imsc2006/Shuman-Do_I_Brake_or_Do_I_Swerve-Paper.pdf

bob

I ride like EVERYONE is about to pull out I front of me, I also assume that everybody has no Frick in clue how to tie down a load. Pickips, trailers etc., doesn't matter to me,I don't follow them, I get ahead of them,or let them get WAAÀY ahead of me, I personally would have never put myself in that particular position he did. All the power to him he walked away, true, it wasn't his day to die

Looks to me like he completely expected it to bounce the other direction and thought only a minor course correction would be necessary. Kind of a similiar situation to avoiding a surprise pothole. Swerve, roll on, look/feel like a bad ass. However the debris went into his lane and suddenly he didn't have the time or plan to properly react anymore.

I ride like EVERYONE is about to pull out I front of me, I also assume that everybody has no Frick in clue how to tie down a load.

Well for starters, everyone is out to get you, sometimes even other bikers. I like a BIG, really BIG bubble around me. ;)

bob

I agree - he seemed to be unable to do a relatively easy maneuver to just get around it, rather than just braking (with only a slight change in line) and inevitably hitting it.
He has a full 3 seconds between the thing hitting the road and him connecting with it (4 if you count when you can first see it coming adrift)
That is a really long time to be honest to execute avoidance vs panic brake and 'hope' you stop in time. Braking was clearly his only though process.
If you choose a direction and the thing bounces un-naturally into your corrected path, you may not be able to do much about it.
The safest recourse (and one reason I always prefer to ride in the outside lane) would have been to get into the left shoulder where you can be reasonably confident nothing is coming up behind you into that space, vs to the right where there MIGHT be.
OK - the cause is not his fault - but many motorcycle accidents are not CAUSED by the rider - and that is where learning & practicing skills comes into self-preservation.

Ken, FYI -
His PRT (perception response time) would be at least 1.5 seconds.
Stopping time from just 55 mph would be a minimum of 3.5 seconds.
Minimum time to stop and avoid would then be 5 seconds. :D

I know you do this for a living so certainly not doubting your deduction
However that indeed proves EXACTLY why he hit it
ie braking was not the correct choice, avoidance was - that was the point I was making and I think actually supported by your numbers

I totally agree. He braked and kind of started to change lanes. Watch his head, it barely moves, I am thinking target fixation, you go where you look. One of the most basic maneuvers in a Basic MSF Course is an unannounced avoidance maneuver. Look to where you want to be an PUSH on that handle bar. It is amazing how much lateral movement you can get in a hurry. But, I wasn't there and have no idea what really happened other than a piece of debris hit the road in front of him, he hit it and rolled while his bike spun down the road. He walked away and that is a win.
Here is a MSF article, Do I Brake or Do I Swerve.
https://www.msf-usa.org/downloads/imsc2006/Shuman-Do_I_Brake_or_Do_I_Swerve-Paper.pdf
bob

Interesting article, Bob. Thanks for sharing.
I disagree with a 1 second PRT. Very old school. Much current human factors testing has shown PRT to be in the 1.5 - 2 second area depending on a number of factors.
The attack against use of the article would be that:
There was no timing of the swerves to compare with the times for braking.
Only one rider was used.
The tests were all performed by an alerted rider.
Just my 2 cents . . . :D

I know you do this for a living so certainly not doubting your deduction
However that indeed proves EXACTLY why he hit it
ie braking was not the correct choice, avoidance was - that was the point I was making and I think actually supported by your numbers

When faced with a sudden hazard that presents directly in front of your path while you are fast approaching it, one would most likely swerve and then brake. The large size and light weight of this obstacle exacerbated its post fall movement, making it extremely difficult for the rider to assess prior to initiating a response. This would increase his PRT even more than I had mentioned.

The sad part is that he did have a 50% chance. Had he swerved left instead of right, he likely would have missed the hazard.
As already mentioned by a couple folks, this rider rode up on the boat/SUV (the douche cannon was in the fast lane) and should have been more defensive regarding a large loaded vehicle.
The wearing of shorts and tennies may also shed some light regarding this fellow's riding acumen. :rolleyes:

Back