When It's just not your time to go.........

I am very cautious almost paranoid about being around boats, construction equipment trailers and the like. I back off or get the hell around them asap, I have seen way to much stuff falling off of or flying out of trailer through the years. I got "sandblasted" pretty good the other day by a swimming pool construction truck, was stuck behind it in heavy traffic for a few miles.
Everyone be safe out there.

One of the scariest times I ever had when riding was one dark night outside of Mountain View, CA on 101. I had left Moffett Field on my Norton and was coming up on a truck that had some BIG pipes on it, probably 12-14 ft long. As we went into a dark stretch of road, an underpass, I was about a bike length behind him and 2 lanes to the left. In slow motion I saw one of those big honking pipes roll off the truck on my side and all I heard was a clanking and scraping as it slid along the road, I pulled over to the left as far as I could go and gave it some fuel. Scared me ****less it did. Once I got home the wife broke out the crowbar and pried me off the seat!!!!

You just never know what surprises are in store for you out there.

bob

One of the scariest times I ever had when riding was one dark night outside of Mountain View, CA on 101. I had left Moffett Field on my Norton and was coming up on a truck that had some BIG pipes on it, probably 12-14 ft long. As we went into a dark stretch of road, an underpass, I was about a bike length behind him and 2 lanes to the left. In slow motion I saw one of those big honking pipes roll off the truck on my side and all I heard was a clanking and scraping as it slid along the road, I pulled over to the left as far as I could go and gave it some fuel. Scared me ****less it did. Once I got home the wife broke out the crowbar and pried me off the seat!!!!

You just never know what surprises are in store for you out there.

bob

What'd you do about the "bite marks" in the seat????? :eek:

i thought the two sided sticky tape would work. i think i will sue the tape company.:confused:

me and a friend are doing 80 mph when about three pieces of furniture fell off the truck in front of us.
luckily the pieces went sliding and we were able to get by them.

I am always extra cautious when getting behind something like this. A couple of biggie warning flags for me are people doing a self move and they have broken the capacity of what a standard Ford F-150 can hold & ladders on the skirting of a utility truck!!

i have a nice latter that i found in the middle of the freeway. also helped a guy load a couch he had lost on freeway to get it out of the middle of the freeway.
i live close to the dump and we find stuff in the road all the time. i sure hope i never find out what it is like to run over a bag of garbage.:eek:

years ago going through dallas semi trucks tire peeled off like it was a retread just happened to be switching lanes at the time or it would have landed on the hood of my 76 ford maverick

u reminded me i was behind a truck/trailer when a tire exploded i could not believe the $hit that came out from under that truck. i piece i think was a light ring that was about 4 inches wide 5 inches around and that was bouncing around sure got my attention.

That looked almost avoidable....maybe...he didn't even get out of his lane.

I agree - he seemed to be unable to do a relatively easy maneuver to just get around it, rather than just braking (with only a slight change in line) and inevitably hitting it.
He has a full 3 seconds between the thing hitting the road and him connecting with it (4 if you count when you can first see it coming adrift)
That is a really long time to be honest to execute avoidance vs panic brake and 'hope' you stop in time. Braking was clearly his only though process.
If you choose a direction and the thing bounces un-naturally into your corrected path, you may not be able to do much about it.
The safest recourse (and one reason I always prefer to ride in the outside lane) would have been to get into the left shoulder where you can be reasonably confident nothing is coming up behind you into that space, vs to the right where there MIGHT be.
OK - the cause is not his fault - but many motorcycle accidents are not CAUSED by the rider - and that is where learning & practicing skills comes into self-preservation.

Back