Werkes - early observations and a couple of tips for installation

Journeyman

"And this one is just right" ~ Goldilocks
Ride
2020 3R
With Baffles Installed

It is definitely louder, but not obnoxious, in my opinion. Now the sound more closely matches the performance you experience riding the new Rocket 3 and it no longer sounds like a Honda Civic, as someone else here described it.

25 pounds of weight for the stock vs. 8 lbs for the Werkes. When the stock frees up and you lower it off the bike you'll be amazed at just how big and heavy that thing is. Put some wood blocks underneath to help protect it when it comes free.

I measured the db with a iPhone app (non-scientific) at idle. From what I understand about decibels small changes are relatively large changes. These numbers mean nothing other than by comparison. It depends where you are (in garage/outside), how close and where you place your recording device.
Stock = 86 - 87
No Baffles = 89 - 90
Baffles = 88 - 89

While riding moderately, with my phone mounted on the handlebars, I got a fairly consistent level of 89 - 90.

Popping? Just be sure you have tight seals everywhere. There's no increase in decel popping, they're just louder along with the other exhaust noise. Maybe an increase in hp and no loss of low-end torque that I noticed on my first very short test ride before the rain hit.

It's an easy install. 30 - 45 minutes. This guy has a great video, so there's no reason to repeat what he's already recorded...

What gave me trouble before watching his video was determining from the manual exactly which three bolts hold on the cat assembly. The middle one is deep, coming in from the left, and required a long socket extension for the 12mm. The Werkes instructions say to reuse the gasket from the original exhaust, but it's embedded in a metal ring. I thought the ring would be considered part of the "gasket"- well, no. You need to dig that out (very carefully) and pack it in the lip, or flange, of the new exhaust (I used some copper gasket seal on all of my connections, btw). That part took the longest time of the entire installation, being careful not to destroy the old gasket. Without the metal ring the stock exhaust clamp will then go over the lip on the header AND the flange on the exhaust. Success!

Last edited:
Congrats! You'll love it. As you said now it sounds like it should.

I measured dBs with (105-108 dB) and without (99-100 dB).
Here it is:

Last edited:
I just did the same swap the other day, and what a massive difference. Nice throaty, mean sound. The popping on deceleration is definitely a lot louder, so I'm going to have to check for leaks (though I was pretty diligent when installing, so think it may just be something to get used to). I'll have to try to fab up something to allow me to record it when riding so I can post a video.

I definitely wish the new exhaust would have come with a new exhaust gasket. It's REALLY easy for the original one to come apart when removing the clamp from the old exhaust to the header. I ended up trekking to the Triumph dealer to get a couple of new gaskets (so I'd have an extra). At $11 for the gasket, it should have been included.

That third bolt was a challenge to find for sure, until I took off the other two and wiggled it around to see where else it was held up. That stock exhaust weighs a ton. The other thing I'd note is that if you have a GT (our have converted your R to forward controls), there is no need to remove the heel guard, since it's not in the way. The instructions also mention removing and saving the bushing from the center exhaust mount location (the one that's hard to find). You also need to do the same with the left side bushing, as the only bushings/bolts you'll reuse are the ones on the right side. I'd also recommend putting some black nail polish on the scratched part where the left side bushing mounts, so that it doesn't rust (it doesn't look like that existing bracket can be easily removed unless I'm missing something).

Other than having to search for that third bolt and get a new gasket, total install time would be pretty brief (i.e., on the order of 1/2 hour of actual work).

Overall, probably the most significant change I've made to the bike since I got it about a month ago. Killer sound (though the decel popping is a bit more annoying than pre-swap).

B

Yeah, for $1,000 a gasket and that little clip you have to remove from the original exhaust to mount the heat shield (25¢ ?) wouldn't be too much to ask.

I'd recommend trying some of that copper gasket seal, as I'm just hearing the same popping as stock, but proportionately louder- more like burbling with an occasional pop.

I like the nail polish idea- no doubt mine has a scratch or two. Surprisingly heavy when that stock exhaust came loose into one hand, wasn't it? Like removing a big tumor.

Yeah, for $1,000 a gasket and that little clip you have to remove from the original exhaust to mount the heat shield (25¢ ?) wouldn't be too much to ask.

I'd recommend trying some of that copper gasket seal, as I'm just hearing the same popping as stock, but proportionately louder- more like burbling with an occasional pop.

I like the nail polish idea- no doubt mine has a scratch or two. Surprisingly heavy when that stock exhaust came loose into one hand, wasn't it? Like removing a big tumor.

It definitely was heavy, and a big tumor is a good description. I forgot about having to move that clip. That is definitely something folks should remember to do. I'll certainly give the copper gasket seal a try. I'm going to pop it apart this weekend and see if it's leaking anywhere. Mine is popping pretty consistently on decel. Worth chasing for sure!

B

It definitely was heavy, and a big tumor is a good description. I forgot about having to move that clip. That is definitely something folks should remember to do. I'll certainly give the copper gasket seal a try. I'm going to pop it apart this weekend and see if it's leaking anywhere. Mine is popping pretty consistently on decel. Worth chasing for sure!

B
But the stock pops consistently on decel, except now it's much more noticable (as said above: proportionately louder).

Which clip y'all talking about? I don't remember removing any clips!

What is the copper gasket seal and where do you apply it? I know probably extremely dumb question, answer is in the name, but can you please explain. I don't want to apply it in a wrong manner. Is this the same as the Copper gasket spray?
Thanks

It's one of those bolt clips that slides over another piece of metal with a hole in it. You usually see it on cars, like on fenders or undercarriage parts. Anyway, it goes on where you attach the heat shield to the new exhaust- just slide off the stock assembly.

The gasket seal is not called for in the instructions, but it's something I've always used connecting headers and mufflers to ensure a good seal and should help prevent any new popping. As I said, I don't have any loud backfiring, just the same sounds as with the stock exhaust but louder.
Screen Shot 2022-05-12 at 5.28.47 AM.png

It's one of those bolt clips that slides over another piece of metal with a hole in it. You usually see it on cars, like on fenders or undercarriage parts. Anyway, it goes on where you attach the heat shield to the new exhaust- just slide off the stock assembly.

The gasket seal is not called for in the instructions, but it's something I've always used connecting headers and mufflers to ensure a good seal and should help prevent any new popping. As I said, I don't have any loud backfiring, just the same sounds as with the stock exhaust but louder.
Screen Shot 2022-05-12 at 5.28.47 AM.png
Thank you. Now I know which clip. I reused that of course.
I didn't have any unusual popping, like like the stock but louder.
I'll use the copper sealant anyway.
Thanks for the explanation.

Back