Welcome worlds latest licensed MC rider

Hello Tribal, and welcome to the good side of the law brother. I don't think I've met you but your story is one my fourth son is going through right now. I paid for his MSF course when he was 17 and got his "M" on his learners permit. When he turned 18 and got his actual license, they did not transfer his "M". He didn't notice either till he got a ticket for speeding a year or so later and a ticket for no "M". He went back and was told they do not keep the records for his learners permit but if he showed his receipt for the MSF course, they would add the "M". I didn't have the receipt anymore and the company who did the course could not produce a duplicate as it was close to three years after the fact by the time the kid told me about it.

He is now 27 and trying to teach his fiancé to ride and has decided that they both will retake the class together. So, he is on his third bike since he left the house, one major crash when a pickup pulled in front of him and now two of his buddies killed (one last year and one this year in MC crashes), he is finally going legal once more.

Ouch. Glad to hear they are on the path to unrestricted riding.

They told us the MSF card was only good for two years and not to lose it (I'm not sure they have everything computerized?).
They also said to make sure DMV didn't keep it. I guess thats in case the 'M' doesn't get added correctly and you need to prove you passed the road test.

My only "complaint" or observation on MSF is that they teach on a flat parking lot and don't touch much on the topic of gear selection on steep inclines/declines.

I rode with a girl once who passed the class but had never ridden dirt bikes or even a manual car. She really struggled with downshifting when climbing steep hills
and using the engine to help control descent. I guess you just learn the hard way.

A wee bit late here, when you pass your MSF course you will recieve a card this card does not allow you to ride you have to go and pay the DMV and get it on your license and ALWAYS check anytime you renew your license that everything is on it for once(in Florida anyway) you sign for your new license you are up schitt creek if anything is missing .
The card is only valid for one year- after one year you have to take the course all over again
Any MSF sanctioned riding school MUST keep records for three years, so if you can tell them roughly when you took the class they can look it up
Come on down to sunny Florida they can spend a weekend with me and drive away with a MC License:D

My only "complaint" or observation on MSF is that they teach on a flat parking lot and don't touch much on the topic of gear selection on steep inclines/declines.

I rode with a girl once who passed the class but had never ridden dirt bikes or even a manual car. She really struggled with downshifting when climbing steep hills
and using the engine to help control descent. I guess you just learn the hard way.

I agree with you 100% and I am a MSF Instructor in fact i will go one further and I would say America is the easiest country in the civilised World to get a MotorCycle License, it is quite embarrassing how easy it is to get a license over here.

My new DMV picture ID arrived this week with the coveted 'DM' license class indicators.

I kinda feel like pulling up to every policeman I see and showing them I'm legal now - maybe not!!

I upgraded to "Enhanced" so now I can travel to some places without needing a passport.

Also, I got the Veteran status added for whatever perks that may have.

It's valid until 2027 but I'll hold on to the MSF card and temporary MC license just in case.

Back