I've heard people say this before, why is this ?

Unless you let it get up to full operating temperature, you load the oil and exhaust system up with water. Plus at idle, your generally using more electricity than your making, so your actually discharging the battery.

Unless you let it get up to full operating temperature, you load the oil and exhaust system up with water. Plus at idle, your generally using more electricity than your making, so your actually discharging the battery.

Thanks Fred.

I wasn't riding for a period of time but would start and run the bike regularly.
Each time I would run it for about 15-20 minutes so it really did (I believe) get up to operating temps.

Besides, it was good to hear the sound of the Beast :thumbsup:

Don't change the pump right away, just change the o-ring on the shaft. It's a simple fix and that's usually what leaks. Just drain, pull the pump out, change the o-ring, reinstall and refill...easy. You only need to change the pump if the shaft or bearings are pooched. And if you know the coolant is coming from the weep hole and not the body of the pump, don't split the pump apart and you won't have to deal with that gasket. It's easy to tell the difference. I keep an extra o-ring on hand all the time just in case.

Don't change the pump right away, just change the o-ring on the shaft. It's a simple fix and that's usually what leaks. Just drain, pull the pump out, change the o-ring, reinstall and refill...easy. You only need to change the pump if the shaft or bearings are pooched. And if you know the coolant is coming from the weep hole and not the body of the pump, don't split the pump apart and you won't have to deal with that gasket. It's easy to tell the difference. I keep an extra o-ring on hand all the time just in case.

The o-ring just seals in the engine oil where the pump enters the block. You can pull the pump out of the block with the hoses attached and not loose any coolant.

Thanks fellas.. the new pump will be here on Wednesday. When I ran the bike it was damp around the weep hole, as bike came up to temperature the damp spot dried. When I squeezed the upper hose you could see fluid in the weeping hole...
if I’m going to go through the trouble to pull the pump I may as well just change it. $150 bucks is not the end of the world. The worst part is, if I pull the pump and just change the seal all I’ll be thinking about is the leak.
I average 800km a week on the bike over a period of 8 months, daily commuter. I’d rather do the preventative maintenance than wait for a fail as it never happens at the right time.o_O

The o-ring just seals in the engine oil where the pump enters the block. You can pull the pump out of the block with the hoses attached and not loose any coolant.

Thanks Fred, that is as I thought when I read the service manual, the o ring just provides a seal for the engine oil. Correct me if I’m wrong please, the only place the pump can leak is from the pump gasket or the weeping hole is it not? Thanks again

Thanks fellas.. the new pump will be here on Wednesday. When I ran the bike it was damp around the weep hole, as bike came up to temperature the damp spot dried. When I squeezed the upper hose you could see fluid in the weeping hole...
if I’m going to go through the trouble to pull the pump I may as well just change it. $150 bucks is not the end of the world. The worst part is, if I pull the pump and just change the seal all I’ll be thinking about is the leak.
I average 800km a week on the bike over a period of 8 months, daily commuter. I’d rather do the preventative maintenance than wait for a fail as it never happens at the right time.o_O

Thanks Fred, that is as I thought when I read the service manual, the o ring just provides a seal for the engine oil. Correct me if I’m wrong please, the only place the pump can leak is from the pump gasket or the weeping hole is it not? Thanks again

Correct ! There are two shaft seals in the pump. One seals in coolant, the other seals in oil. If either leaks, it goes out the weep hole. The weep hole serves two functions. It eliminates the possibility of cross contamination of either seal fails, and provides "evidence" that there is a problem.

Hey @Dawg68, if you're going to all this trouble in terms of preventative maintenance and reliability, you should seriously consider ordering a Samco silicone coolant hose kit to replace the garbage Triumph hoses. My water pump outlet hose blew out on me on the freeway when my Rocket was only 20 months old with 18,000 miles, and many other members have had theirs blow out too per this thread: Blew a coolant line.

Here's a link to the hose kit and the contact info for the sales rep I worked with:

Bruce Hatton

Sales Representative | Racebikebitz USA
T: +44 (0)1763 249807
F: +44 (0)1763 249810
E: sales@racebikebitzusa.com
W:​

Hey @Dawg68, if you're going to all this trouble in terms of preventative maintenance and reliability, you should seriously consider ordering a Samco silicone coolant hose kit to replace the garbage Triumph hoses. My water pump outlet hose blew out on me on the freeway when my Rocket was only 20 months old with 18,000 miles, and many other members have had theirs blow out too per this thread: Blew a coolant line.

Here's a link to the hose kit and the contact info for the sales rep I worked with:

Bruce Hatton

Sales Representative | Racebikebitz USA
T: +44 (0)1763 249807
F: +44 (0)1763 249810
E: sales@racebikebitzusa.com
W:​
Thank you.. didn’t think of it and you are right. Not in a rush to get this job done as the bike is off the road for the winter. As my Roadster is now 3 years old I’m slowly replacing all the fluids. Thanks for the link and the advice.

Back