Dawg68

Nitrous
Ride
2014 R3R / 2017 R3T
I’m in the process of replacing all fluids on my Roadster. The other day I was bleeding my front brakes and while doing so I noticed that my coolant reservoir was empty. I took off the cap to the radiator and it was full. I also noticed a little drip under the water pump. Not a leak but just a drip. I cleaned everything up and placed a piece of cardboard under the pump to make it easier to identify any potential problem. While doing the oil change and running the bike I noticed another drip on the cardboard. While the bike was running I checked the weeping hole and it was a little damp but as the bike ran the dampness dried out and there were no more drips and things are still dry. I ran the bike till the fan cycled and the reservoir filled back up to the min line.

The next thing I want to do is flush the coolant and replace. Any ideas why to pump would drip a couple of drops...no more than a half a teaspoon if I was guessing. The bike has been sitting since August. I start and run it every couple of weeks. I know if fluid starts comming out the weeping hole the pump could be failing but the bike only has 34K km.could sitting cause seals to go? Or is it normal for the odd drip to come out of the weeping hole?

Thanks for any advice

I’m back...
Answered my own question... probably need to order a water pump. Found a couple of threads on the topic... should have read befor I posted.. sorry

It is not normal for the weep hole to drip a little. With all the sitting the seal could be getting a little stiff and not quite sealing as it should. When you run it and get it hot it may be softening up enough to reseal. Keep a good eye on it as you may ultimately need to replace the seal or the entire pump.

FYI: You are better off not starting an engine that is sitting until you are ready to ride/drive the vehicle. It is worse to start and let it idle for a bit then just letting it sit.

If you are going to order a new water pump I hope you are prepared for a shock as far as cost I replaced the one on my Touring (it only had an intermittent drip?leak)and was lucky to get one from interstate and was told there were only 2 others in Australia also at $Aud 250.00 I could buy 2 water pumps for the 460 ci in my Ford F100,

When you replace your water pump, I'll pay the shipping if I can have your old one. I'm trying to come up with a way to repair them.

Not a problem Sir, once I get the replacement I’ll give you a shout and get your particulars. I may be able to ship from the US as well to save some bucks.

I found a replacement for $160 so I’ll be ordering that soon.

Back