Watcha think about this power combo?

Better to install a temp tune from @Claviger then ride the 900 miles to WA from Rock Springs to Woodinville for a Nels Dyno!!!
Talk sweet to me and ya may even get a free room for the night you arrive and the night after before heading home on your new & improved Rocket???
So how would I go about doing this, using Tune ECU or something?? What other parts aside from the actual exhaust, and intake parts do I need to invest in?

Just a cable to connect your PC to the ECU, is about $20. There are a few guides here on the forums and a tune database in the resources section. The RAMAIR/Carpenter exhaust combination isn't something I've seen a tune posted for previously. You'll want a custom tune to get the most out of the setup, it's a big difference in feel if not raw dyno numbers between a canned tune and a custom one.

The real skinny on Tuneboy is:

He's stopped developing the software for rockets, and focuses almost exclusively on Ducati. If you've an older bike its fine, anything Touring or 2013 and older. The newer bikes, 2014+ use a different software version which only half works and even then, there are at least 3 members who were run around for about 6 months trying to get the right kind of software that is compatible with the newer bikes. Eventually, I did get a hold of it, ran it for a while, but, because some of the Tuneboy apps don't quite work right, it's a pain in the butt.

Just a cable to connect your PC to the ECU, is about $20. There are a few guides here on the forums and a tune database in the resources section. The RAMAIR/Carpenter exhaust combination isn't something I've seen a tune posted for previously. You'll want a custom tune to get the most out of the setup, it's a big difference in feel if not raw dyno numbers between a canned tune and a custom one.

He's stopped developing the software for rockets, and focuses almost exclusively on Ducati. If you've an older bike its fine, anything Touring or 2013 and older. The newer bikes, 2014+ use a different software version which only half works and even then, there are at least 3 members who were run around for about 6 months trying to get the right kind of software that is compatible with the newer bikes. Eventually, I did get a hold of it, ran it for a while, but, because some of the Tuneboy apps don't quite work right, it's a pain in the butt.

Excellent info, and thank you very much. So I can download a "similar" tune file to be good enough to ride around on, but need a dyno-tune to dial it in enough to be safe, smooth, or optimum performance, or all the above? Long story short, can I beat on it without hurting it before being optimized on a dyno?

Do you have the timing map, or are you just suggesting to tune just the fuel table?

I have “A” timing map, but not the one he will have loaded in the other bikes that’ve been done.

For the pipe and intake yes I have a good one.

• Either of Carpenter racing's full exhaust
  • ram air's intake system (single foam filter)
  • Tuning???
I like the original Carpenters header, and exhaust, however; the equal length header / sidewinder looks good too. I'd really like to do the triple K&N's, but don't want to modify or delete the claw cover. How much power am I giving up by doing the Ramair single foam filter vs, the triple K&N's?

At the end of it all, I'd also not like to have to re-think anything (parts wise) to support something like the Carpenter 240 kit, Which will be a year or two down the road, if I'm not being too hopeful.

Also, I hate to admit it, but ECU tuning has me seriously confused on how to go about tuning this beast. There is no dyno-shops near me, and would be fine with sort of a (canned) tune for the exhaust, and intake upgrade. I'll spring for a more involved dyno-tune when I take the plunge into more compression / bigger cams / head port-work ordeal. If someone wants to explain (in simple terms) what would be the best / easiest way to get the bike tuned good for just the free flowing intake / exhaust, I'd really appreciate it.

I have the carpenter sidewinder exhaust, ramair filters with tune ecu and power comander V. If you ever want to have it dyno tuned localy, I would advise to get the powercomnder because most dyno operators have that tuning software.

Tune ecu isnt that hard to load maps yourself if you want, there are videos on youtube that explain how to use it. The (canned) maps availble are close but You will need a wideband to really get it close. I used a hanso tune (map) and it was rich (too much fuel). You can see the before and after tune I did.. It picked up 10hp and 13lbs tourqe just getting the air fuel ratio correct at wot. The canned tunes are close but need more tweaking.

rocket 3 dyno sheet.jpg

Excellent info, and thank you very much. So I can download a "similar" tune file to be good enough to ride around on, but need a dyno-tune to dial it in enough to be safe, smooth, or optimum performance, or all the above? Long story short, can I beat on it without hurting it before being optimized on a dyno?

You can use a somewhat close downloaded tune and ride it safely. The dyno time will improve throttle response, power, torque, and mileage. It’ll also be safer because it’ll be right.

Back