Watcha think about this power combo?

skaarlaj

.040 Over
Ride
2016 Rocket 3
  • Either of Carpenter racing's full exhaust
  • ram air's intake system (single foam filter)
  • Tuning???
I like the original Carpenters header, and exhaust, however; the equal length header / sidewinder looks good too. I'd really like to do the triple K&N's, but don't want to modify or delete the claw cover. How much power am I giving up by doing the Ramair single foam filter vs, the triple K&N's?

At the end of it all, I'd also not like to have to re-think anything (parts wise) to support something like the Carpenter 240 kit, Which will be a year or two down the road, if I'm not being too hopeful.

Also, I hate to admit it, but ECU tuning has me seriously confused on how to go about tuning this beast. There is no dyno-shops near me, and would be fine with sort of a (canned) tune for the exhaust, and intake upgrade. I'll spring for a more involved dyno-tune when I take the plunge into more compression / bigger cams / head port-work ordeal. If someone wants to explain (in simple terms) what would be the best / easiest way to get the bike tuned good for just the free flowing intake / exhaust, I'd really appreciate it.

I've had both on the dyno with the same bike and exhaust.
The Ramair pushes more air, requiring more fuel and does make slightly more power.
Because the days, temp and atmosphere stuff were different we were unable to quantify the gain . . . but there was indeed gains.

RAMAIR wont be a restriction at all in the 160hp range compared to any other solution, so with the Carpenter exhaust (either) you'll be fine.

Moving forward with a higher power kit, obviously the exhaust will work well. I would suggest sourcing a different intake setup for the 240 or 265 setups, something like K&N 4040-1s or something custom.

RAMAIR wont be a restriction at all in the 160hp range compared to any other solution, so with the Carpenter exhaust (either) you'll be fine.

Moving forward with a higher power kit, obviously the exhaust will work well. I would suggest sourcing a different intake setup for the 240 or 265 setups, something like K&N 4040-1s or something custom.
I may be pretty content after upgrading just the intake / exhaust, but we all know how that usually goes, hahaha! What method of tuning would be good for just the intake / exhaust. Tune-boy, power-commander5, and tune ECU, are what I hear of a lot. Which would work decently without an actual dyno tune? I also have an innovate portable wide-band I could use to datalog, and wouldn't mind doing minor fuel tweaking to dial in the AFR's if need be. And which method/device would make that possible??

• Either of Carpenter racing's full exhaust
  • ram air's intake system (single foam filter)
  • Tuning???
I like the original Carpenters header, and exhaust, however; the equal length header / sidewinder looks good too. I'd really like to do the triple K&N's, but don't want to modify or delete the claw cover. How much power am I giving up by doing the Ramair single foam filter vs, the triple K&N's?

At the end of it all, I'd also not like to have to re-think anything (parts wise) to support something like the Carpenter 240 kit, Which will be a year or two down the road, if I'm not being too hopeful.

Also, I hate to admit it, but ECU tuning has me seriously confused on how to go about tuning this beast. There is no dyno-shops near me, and would be fine with sort of a (canned) tune for the exhaust, and intake upgrade. I'll spring for a more involved dyno-tune when I take the plunge into more compression / bigger cams / head port-work ordeal. If someone wants to explain (in simple terms) what would be the best / easiest way to get the bike tuned good for just the free flowing intake / exhaust, I'd really appreciate it.
I think you can get K&Ns that can fit under the Bearclaw.

You can send your ECU to Carpenter and they will install Tuneboy and their tune to match their pipe.

Better to install a temp tune from @Claviger then ride the 900 miles to WA from Rock Springs to Woodinville for a Nels Dyno!!!
Talk sweet to me and ya may even get a free room for the night you arrive and the night after before heading home on your new & improved Rocket???

You can send your ECU to Carpenter and they will install Tuneboy and their tune to match their pipe.
I agree. I went that route too. PCV tunes only adjust fueling, and give limited results. The TuneBoy tune also tweaked the timing, and really woke the bike up. And if you are upgrading later you will need TuneBoy anyhow.

Back