Vintage Triumph for "An ounce of weed and a six pack of beer"

Watched it this morning and just enjoyed it again. How great it would have been to have a father who had a passion for riding. My dad hated bikes and scolded me every time I rode up on a borrowed one in high school. Conversely, I gave my son my Rocket and a DL1000 and we've had some great rides together. He's getting my C at some point in time.

I recall that a friend back in Virginia in the late 80s who had the same bike as in the video. I was riding my 1967 TR6C Trophy at the time and almost bought his Tiger. I wish I had and I'd still have it today.

When the narrator refers to Lucas as the Prince of Darkness, that was not coined because of the electrical system in general, although it was a bit ridiculous, but rather the generators in the pre-units that used a magneto to produce the spark and a generator for the lights. The generators had a pretty high failure rate.

Good memories

And somewhat in the same tradition. Beautiful and much more reliable.

The Green Legend - An FCR Custom Triumph In The Spirit Of Steve McQueen

The 1967 C models had a green on white tank, lighter color green though.
3607814987_9a44f6b389_b.jpg

Not a father and son story but...
A friend of mine bought a new Triumph Daytona when we were young...it had a green tank and so i'm thinking it must have been a '69 model.We did a trip from Nelson in the South Island of NZ all the way up and around the North Island with me as pillion carrying a backpack with all our clothes etc in it. I let the straps go a bit and sat the pack on the back of the seat so it didnt weigh too heavy on my shoulders. We had a great trip considering its only a 500cc bike.We stayed with my parents and did day trips all around the place. It got my juices flowing and i bought a new Kawasaki Samurai..250cc. It proved to be a pig and way too small for my 6ft 1in frame and chucked me off too often. I sold it and bought a Triumph 21 which had been bored out too 500cc...had Daytona guards and seat...flash metalic blue paint with silver pin stripping and looked the dogs nuts!...It went like a scalded cat and i got a genuine 107mph out of it in a 1/4 mile one saturday!!...that was a big achievement for a Triumph in those days!

triumph_90_top_img.jpg

Not a father and son story but...
A friend of mine bought a new Triumph Daytona when we were young...it had a green tank and so i'm thinking it must have been a '69 model.We did a trip from Nelson in the South Island of NZ all the way up and around the North Island with me as pillion carrying a backpack with all our clothes etc in it. I let the straps go a bit and sat the pack on the back of the seat so it didnt weigh too heavy on my shoulders. We had a great trip considering its only a 500cc bike.We stayed with my parents and did day trips all around the place. It got my juices flowing and i bought a new Kawasaki Samurai..250cc. It proved to be a pig and way too small for my 6ft 1in frame and chucked me off too often. I sold it and bought a Triumph 21 which had been bored out too 500cc...had Daytona guards and seat...flash metalic blue paint with silver pin stripping and looked the dogs nuts!...It went like a scalded cat and i got a genuine 107mph out of it in a 1/4 mile one saturday!!...that was a big achievement for a Triumph in those days!

triumph_90_top_img.jpg
I once got 110 mph out of my 650 Bonnie at least that's what the cops said. I think they were lying.

Great story. We had a few problems running to Sturgis in 1993. I was on my 74 sportster, XLCH, Uncle Mike on his 68 sportster, and Toad on his 1960 pan. Best ride of my life.

Back