Very cool USB Power Ports just installed

ricochet

Rocket Captain
Ride
2012 Rocket III Roadster
Hey Guys,

So I've had this previous Dual USB power port installed on my rocket and it worked for 3 years great until one day I rode to work and didn't realize that it was going to rain... left the ports open and the rain got into the unit and killed it solid.

So I went shopping for a replacement of the same unit when I noticed that Kuryakin (A brand I like!) has a Dual USB power port option as well, with the ability to be mounted onto a handlebar or mounted on a flat surface. It's a little bit of a premium price but they are high quality parts and always nicely chromed.

The thing I found most insteresting about these Kuryakin power ports is that the power ports are seperate from the electronic components. What I mean by that is that the actual 2 ports themselves are really compact and small and discrete, while the actual electronics are much further down on the wiring harness that terminate into a little water proof cube and out of that is that black and red wire with an inline fuse.

I installed the unit into my bike no problem with length, the cable runs under my gas tank and the wires I installed into my FZ1 fuse box and all works well!

Just wanted to show you guys another option that you may have not considered before... most of the stuff you see on Ebay or chinese websites are really bulky, ugly and.. bad quality.

Let me know if you have any questions!!

81ehjpObMLL._SY355_.jpg

19692_1350x900_RGB_72DPI.jpg

Kuryakyn also has a 12 volt cigarette lighter option in chrome. To get USB out of that, you just need a little 12 volt to USB adapter that fits inside it. And then you have a 12-volt outlet right on the handlebars for compressors and whatnot. I went that route personally and has worked great for a few years.

Electrical Power Point | Device Chargers | Accessory Mounts | Kuryakyn

Plus something like this:

The adapter fits neatly inside the power point and you can close the rubber cover with the USB adapter inside.

The power point should be wired to a fuse box, of course, and only provide power when the key is on, just to make sure there's no power drain when the bike is not being used, goes for any accessory like this I'd say.

Link to where they were purchased? Also, how'd you mount it there?

I am in Canada so I purchased it online at Canada's Motorcycle. As far as mounting, it's as easy as can be with the 1" handlebar mount. It comes with a very strong double sided tape you just hold in place and your done!

Kuryakyn also has a 12 volt cigarette lighter option in chrome. To get USB out of that, you just need a little 12 volt to USB adapter that fits inside it. And then you have a 12-volt outlet right on the handlebars for compressors and whatnot. I went that route personally and has worked great for a few years.

Electrical Power Point | Device Chargers | Accessory Mounts | Kuryakyn

Plus something like this:

The adapter fits neatly inside the power point and you can close the rubber cover with the USB adapter inside.

The power point should be wired to a fuse box, of course, and only provide power when the key is on, just to make sure there's no power drain when the bike is not being used, goes for any accessory like this I'd say.

I've actually got that unit installed on my bike as well. It's the nicest 12V plug I've ever seen, its absolutely solid and looks great.

Yeah, I needed USB power but I also needed that old school cigarette lighter option, so two birds one stone.

My gps and phone cradle are hooked to a marine busbar, which in turn goes to the battery. I have a cigarette lighter style socket in the left pannier, for whatever use it may be put to as well. It is also hooked to the busbar....the busbar keeps me from having a spaghetti dinner hooked to the positive battery terminal. That can cause all sorts of bad connection issues.

Yeah, I went with a PDM60 - Rowe Electronics on the positive end. It's hooked up to the tail light wire and only activates when that activates, ie when I turn the key to on. Another option for a fusebox might be a PC-8 from Eastern Beaver, that one is analog but less expensive.

Back