Valve shim removal tool

Y62

.060 Over
Ride
2008 Rocket, Softail Evo, BSA.
Some dealers will swap shims and there are other make motors with the same size shims that will work.
I paid like $5, as I recall, for the one I needed to replace.

My dealer wont and thats the customers fault. I suggested a system for trade in, 5$ for changing. They had tried it and people got angry so now we all have to by.

tripX

.040 Over
Ride
2008 clasic
A fellow on this site wanted the dimensions of my shim tool so I thought I would share it with the gang.

This is how it works.
View attachment 27103
View attachment 27104
Here are the dimensions.

View attachment 27105

Here are some actual pictures so you can see what it looks like. I made a little steel brace to run across the top for more strength.

View attachment 27106 View attachment 27107 View attachment 27108

Getting the angle of the bend correct takes some patience. You have catch the edge of the cam follower without trapping the shim.

View attachment 27109

Pick a valve that needs adjustment. Turn the engine until the cam lobe faces away from that valve. Use a pick to turn the cam follower until the notch pictured above is facing a convenient direction to blow air into it. Turn the engine until the valve is all the way down. Remove the nearest screw on the cam ladder and put the tool in place. Insert the screw through the 1/4" hole and tighten. Slowly turn the engine (I take one spark plug out of each cylinder so it turns easier) until the cam follower is near the tool. Adjust the bend until you can just catch the edge of the follower. I had to slot the 1/4" hole a little to get the right angle. Blow compressed air into the notch and use a pick on the opposite side to tiddly wink the shim out. They have to come straight up or they bind. The oil sticktion doesn't help either. Not a bad idea to stuff something in the cam chain tunnel in case one goes flying. Do the valves ONE AT A TIME. Do not allow the cam to run on a follower without a shim on it. Don't ask ! :oops:

View attachment 27110

This is what you don't want to happen.

It takes a little farting around but is still way easier than removing the cams. Good luck ! Fred
We can beat the system with people like you

MCR3

.020 Over
Ride
2011 Triumph Rocket Roadster
I just built a valve shim removal tool following Rocket Scientist's drawing. It worked great after I realized it went on the inboard side, not outboard side of the cam.:banghead:
After I install the new shim, I assume I rotate the engine backwards rather than slowly loosening the cam ladder bolt to reseat the cam onto the shim?

Thanks

1olbull

Riding Motor Since 1950
Ride
2012 R3R "Kong" - 2011 R3R "YurMama"
I just built a valve shim removal tool following Rocket Scientist's drawing. It worked great after I realized it went on the inboard side, not outboard side of the cam.:banghead:
After I install the new shim, I assume I rotate the engine backwards rather than slowly loosening the cam ladder bolt to reseat the cam onto the shim?

Thanks

Goodonya! :thumbsup: