Valve shim removal tool

And the answer is......... a early GM door handle removal tool, used for window cranks also. Bought it when I worked in a GM dealership as an auto mechanic in 1975. Since most vehicles don't use these any more, it was a prime candidate for the tool having the hole and tangs close to ideal. Needed to heat the thing up to bend it since it was hardened.
I did use a rare earth magnet to snag some of the shims once loose but you needed to hold it with something to keep it from sticking to...... everything.

Looks promising!!!
What are the dims of the cut out?
I found these on Amazon - likely the same dims?

EDIT:
I ordered up the second one just to see if . . .

EDIT; I found one at Baxters today. More to come . . .

Last edited:
Where I live they have a world war 2 submarine called the Silversides you can tour. It is a highly decorated battle sub. It has four, 9 cylinder opposed piston diesel engines.
I used to work on these engines during a posting to a Mine hunter support base.
Napier Deltic - Wikipedia
Like all Pommy engines of the era if it wasnt leaking oil you had forgotten to put oil in.

2nd try
Spot on as usual.:thumbsup::thumbsup::whitstling::notworthy:

Notice the chamfered and dished cutout at the end of the fingers. To contact the follower?

1st photo is from different supplier.

Great price and up to 10 in stock.

If they were the right size to make adjustments to he may sell heaps more all of a sudden to R3 owners.:)

YAMAHA FJ1100 FJ1200 XJR1200 XJR1300 TAPPET ADJUSTING TOOL. EQUIVALENT TO YAMAHA PART NUMBER 90890-04110.

MANUFACTURED IN CHROME MOLY STEEL. WITH LOCATING SCREW AND SPARE LOCATING SCREW.

SUPPLIED WITH USE INSTRUCTIONS FROM THE 2007 XJR1300 YAMAHA WORKSHOP MANUAL.

US eBay
Price:
GBP 19.95 Approximately US $26.42
GBP 3.95 (approx. US $5.23) Economy Shipping
YAMAHA FJ1100 FJ1200 XJR1200 XJR1300 TAPPET VALVE ADJUSTING TOOL 90890-04110 | eBay

Australia eBay
Price:
GBP 19.95 Approximately AU $35.58
GBP 3.95 (approx. AU $7.05) Economy Postage

YAMAHA FJ1100 FJ1200 XJR1200 XJR1300 TAPPET VALVE ADJUSTING TOOL 90890-04110 | eBay

This is the tool made by Yamaha Motors in Japan

Below is the tool for sale by aftermarket maker on eBay posted above.
I contacted the aftermarket Yamaha tool seller
YAMAHA FJ1100 FJ1200 XJR1200 XJR1300 TAPPET VALVE ADJUSTING TOOL 90890-04110
and asked if dimensions and the 2 crucial ones being distance between prongs and length of prong. Surprisiongly they are almost identicval so a single hole in the middle and maybe a tweak to the angle and they may work fine.

I got one for GBP15 offer (24% off) and when asking dimensions suggested he may be able to sell a few more if right size to modify.

He seems pretty keen to sell a few more.

Reply:

Hi, Your measurements are about spot on; 25mm between the legs and 34-35mm from the tip to the base of each leg measured with a vernier caliper. Let me know how many you need and I’ll see what I can do on price. Many thanks, Paul

2nd try

I contacted the aftermarket Yamaha tool seller
YAMAHA FJ1100 FJ1200 XJR1200 XJR1300 TAPPET VALVE ADJUSTING TOOL 90890-04110
and asked if dimensions and the 2 crucial ones being distance between prongs and length of prong. Surprisiongly they are almost identicval so a single hole in the middle and maybe a tweak to the angle and they may work fine.

I got one for GBP15 offer (24% off) and when asking dimensions suggested he may be able to sell a few more if right size to modify.

He seems pretty keen to sell a few more.

Reply:

Give us feedback when you have tried it. Great thread y´all! TIA!

Give us feedback when you have tried it. Great thread y´all! TIA!

Well it arrived today - very professionally made and packaged with a copy of illustrated Yamaha workshop manual pages to use. - No not @Rocket Scientist 's plan below.;):D

BUT BIG ISSUE IMMEDIATELY and a BIG DOH factor.
The Yamaha tool bend is the opposite.
i.e.

_
..\

Not

_
/

Still worth playing around with and the legs seems corrrect length/width etc but I would not advise anyone else to buy one.

Link Removed
1olbull's plan of claviger's version
Link Removed

Mine are 4.5mm steel plate cut and bent to shape, but machined to just 1.9mm at tips( RS version 1.5 mm all the way)
56mm wide ( RS version 50mm, Claviger version 46mm)
35mm long 'legs' ( RS version 35mm, Claviger version 41.3mm)
17.5mm wide 'legs' at top reducing to 10mm at 'mooned' tips ( RS version 12.7mm , Claviger version 11.1mm)
13mm at center width 22mm wide at top of 'leg's( RS version 25.4mm, Claviger version 30.2mm) - note the Yamaha one is stepped so = wider top like RS and Claviver's versions with straight 'legs'.

Angle of bend is 60 degrees or close as my broken kid's protractor measures (RS version ?? , Claviger version 83 dgerees but there was some flex in their legs I think).

So I reckon heat and bend it over the other way, and then drill a hole in the center and it should work or pretty darn close with a couple of tweaks or mallet bashes as @Claviger measures it.;) :D:cool:

Below is the tool for sale by aftermarket maker on eBay posted above.

Last edited:
Using the bracket I found at Menards I made another one following Claviger's plan. It wasn't necessarily hard to do with a hacksaw, drill press, file, and my sander but it was very time consuming. I matched up the angle by making a drawing using a downloaded image of a internet protractor. I added a small 1" radius on the tips and made a top reinforcing plate as RS did. I don't think it was required because of the overall strength of the original bracket. I sent it off to Joesmoe to try and will wait for a report. It can be easily tweak with a vise and file.

It seems the legs would be better bent like a drawing I threw in here but I don't know since I have not seen the inside under the cover. Oh well...

Attachments

• 20180702_115016.jpg
    20180702_115016.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 18
  • 20180702_115038.jpg
    20180702_115038.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 18
  • Shim Tool(1).jpg
    Shim Tool(1).jpg
    2.2 KB · Views: 15
Using the bracket I found at Menards I made another one following Claviger's plan. It wasn't necessarily hard to do with a hacksaw, drill press, file, and my sander but it was very time consuming. I matched up the angle by making a drawing using a downloaded image of a internet protractor. I added a small 1" radius on the tips and made a top reinforcing plate as RS did. I don't think it was required because of the overall strength of the original bracket. I sent it off to Joesmoe to try and will wait for a report. It can be easily tweak with a vise and file.

It seems the legs would be better bent like a drawing I threw in here but I don't know since I have not seen the inside under the cover. Oh well...

Very nice work!
I was thinking a slight twist of the legs to match the bucket radius might be nice, but I am not keen to re-open the cover just to improve the design.

Great job - re lat comment - you are spot on as that matches the designed action of the factory Yamaha tool as well to better engage the bucket.

P1050398.JPG
P1050399.JPG
P1050400.JPG

Interesting there is a separate radius on each arm that does not match the radius of one bucket . . .
So when are you going to tell us if this Yammie tool works on a Rocket?

Back