Valve cover gasket leak?

CvSisinthehouse

Supercharged
Hey mates, I noticed this leak yesterday. seems to be a common problem. This gasket seems to have blown out, where the screwdriver is pointing to. Is this the valve cover gasket or head gasket? and can I do it myself?

Attachments

• gasket1.jpg
    gasket1.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 62
  • gasket2.jpg
    gasket2.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 58
Ya the directions are in the manual. If you have triple or ram air filters you just just saved a lot of cussing at ducting clamps. :) if you have the time you should buy a older black cover like off a 06 or 07 the hasket surface contour is different and grabs the gasket. Verses the smooth newer ones. I'm not sure how many miles you have but while you changing gasket you might as well check valve clearances!!!!

A also had the same problem recently but it was under warranty! Triumph should have a recall on this , it happened in a lot of rockets!

BTW, when said he they SHOULD have a recall, he means they should but DON'T. Also seems like Triumph is no better, or maybe even worse at putting them on than anybody else. Look for the recent thread by PlowHorse and search the site, there are many threads on how people do it and there are about as many techniques as members!

I had the same issue at around 20,000 miles - I bought my R3 Roadster with 19,218 on the ODO. Apparently this is a known problem with many Rocket III engines. The parts are not too expensive, around $30 for the gasket and I've seen posts that say it can be done in about an hour. It actually took my son (a Hyundai Master Tech) and myself about six hours. The problem we encountered was that the black powder coat on the valve cover was somehow present on the gasket sealing surface. We carefully scraped it off with a razor scraper and cleaned the mating surfaces with acetone prior to installing the new gasket. I've got another 2,500 miles on it since the replacement and it's still looking good.

Hey mates, I noticed this leak yesterday. seems to be a common problem. This gasket seems to have blown out, where the screwdriver is pointing to. Is this the valve cover gasket or head gasket? and can I do it myself?
My dealer calls it the cam cover gasket.

Back