Hi guys from a newbie R3T owner in UK.

Today i fitted a pair of TORs and a RamAir kit, and did the 12 minute tune.

All seems well at the moment although the heavens opened so test ride will happen tomorrow.

What's next . . . TuneEcu downloaded, cable ready. Which tune should i use on my otherwise standard Rocket??

How much unleashing?

As a MINIMUM use the Triumph factory TORS and aftermarket filter tune.

If you REALLY want to unleash it, then tunes for TORS and aftermarket filter for a Roadster.

If you really really want to unleash it - find a good Dyno man (@Nat67 knows one in the Bristol/Bath are iirc) or think about PCV/Autotune.

Sorry 12 minute tunes only good for idle/real low revs really has no effect on tuning.

Next and cheapest step is Tune ECU and a cable. New map and open up secondary throttles. Then your on the way to unleashing it.

After that as above with Viking crossover pipe.

So i put Nels ramair/tors tune on yesterday. Brilliant. Ordered crossover pipe from PB. Should i re-apply the tune once crossover fitted or will a 12 minute tune sort things?

So i put Nels ramair/tors tune on yesterday. Brilliant. Ordered crossover pipe from PB. Should i re-apply the tune once crossover fitted or will a 12 minute tune sort things?

You'll know when you ride it. Claviger (Rob) downloaded the tune after installed my TORs and then came by again with 1olbull and his brother to install the cross over piece. (I'm not lazy or mechanically inept but with two bad knees, getting up and down off of my shop floor became a major ordeal so I got some help frm my friends.)

You will notice a difference with the crossover piece in both a slightly lowered exhaust note and performance.

We did not modify the tune after crossover install and my 3T runs great. Rob suggested I take it to a local dyno guy, who is TuneECU proficient, to have it fine tuned though, removing any flat or lean spots. I'll do so after installing the Ram Air

The bikes stock O2 sensor is a narrow band so it can only detect lean/stoic.rich. It cannot measure as such. When you due the 12 minute "tune" you are only at idle and in neutral. So the ecu looks at the operation in neutral and at idle and goes "Am I rich, good, or lean?" then trims. This has zero bearing on any other part of the bikes operation as the bikes fuel demand is vastly different at 800rpm than it is at 6000rpm.

There is a common misconception also put out by some aftermarket exhaust suppliers that you can "bang on another pipe, do the 12 minute tune and your sweet" this is simply not true.

You have to be a little careful to as the bikes were quite lean from factory, to meet regulations, once you start increasing performance you are pumping more air and you need to add fuel to compensate. Leaving it can lean out the bike more than you should. Also if you want torque you need that gas.

As @barbagris says above it never hurts though but its not a tune simply an adjustment of the fueling at idle.

See below for an explanation. Remember the 12 minute "tune" is at idle on the r3
AF%20Basics%202.jpg

A narrow band o2 sensor is an oxygen sensor that is only calibrated to know three things. Rich, stoic, and lean. What I mean by this is that it only has a narrow window that it see’s the air fuel mixture through. The sensor can tell the computer when it’s stoic. If it’s not stoic, it can tell the ECU that it’s either Rich, or Lean, but that’s it. It doesn’t really output any particular value other than that. How rich the car is the sensor has NO IDEA about. Same with how lean the car is. All it does know is that it’s not stoic. The ecu with a narrowband o2 sensor, when in closed loop mode, will then lean on the fuel map if it is receiving a rich signal from the o2 sensor till its stoic. The opposite would be true if the sensor was telling the ECU that it was currently running lean, it would richen the fuel map till the o2 sensor was reading stoic.

A wideband o2 sensor is much more sophisticated than a narrowband sensor, and can be relied upon to be used as a tuning tool. Wideband sensors not only are a lot faster acting in the reading, but can tell you the exact a/f ratio that the motor is currently at. So instead of just telling the ECU that the motor is running rich, it will read a voltage that correlates to an actual value, like 11.2. One thing to remember with a wideband sensor is that it has a heating element that needs to be heated up before the sensor will be accurate in its readings. This usually only takes a few seconds, but just remember that for those first few seconds the gauge is not useful. Wideband sensors give the ECU the ability to tune exact A/F value’s to a tenth of a decimal instead of just richening and leaning the mixture till a stoic value is seen.

Back