Unifilter update

dougl

Living Legend
Ride
2007 R3 Classic
I put the Unifilters on last Friday and loaded 20050_3 from Tuneboy, which was created by Wayne (Tuneboy) for the TOR's/cat bypass/Unifilter setup. The bike seemed to run really strong and smoothly, except for popping on decel. I started getting worried about it being too lean from Hombre's posts and took it to a DynoJet center at the local Honda dealership. They dynoed it at 135 hp/142 ft. lb, but the air/fuel ratio was above 18, which is dangerously lean. It would also cause a significant power loss.

I've been corresponding with Hombre about this. He had his bike (with Jardines and Unifilters) custom tuned on a DynoJet dyno using the Tuneboy TuneEdit software. To get his air/fuel to 13, his main fuel tables are more than twice as rich as 20050_3 in some cells. Hombre noted that when he was running the DynoSteve tune (Tunedboy 20050TuneStaintune.dat tune done on SteveRed's bike in OZ) with his Jardines and Unifilters, the A/F was 18. Hombre has warned that you can't transfer tunes done on Australian bikes to bikes in the U.S. or Europe - presumably because of differences in the gasoline. Note that 20050_3 is not that much richer than 20050TuneStaintune - maybe 30-40% higher in some cells.

Concerned that my bike was about to burn up, I removed the Unifilters and put the stock intake manifold back on. I re-installed a version of 20050TuneStaintune.dat that Wayne sent me which fattened up values in the L tables to get rid of the popping, which it seems to do quite well.

Next week, I'm going to take the bike to my Triumph dealer, which is a DynoJet center, to check my A/F with 20050TuneStaintune. If the A/F is OK, I may put the Uni's back on and use Hombre's tune.

Thanks for sharing, very interesting. I don't know if it would run very well at all if it was 18 to 1. I would assume Triumph would make sure its tunes would be safe for all countries as their tunes are not country specific other than the french and german power limiting ones. One other thing about the Hombre tune is that the tuner did not change the A/F's in the 14.57 range so the ECU goes into open loop and would trim out any changes that were made in those areas right? And yes that is a very rich tune compared to any others.

I was aware that the Aussie's and the USA had different ways to measure octane, but I don't believe that the gas itself is any different. I can't remember for sure but I think that something like 94 octane in Oz translates to 87 octane in the US.

Can anyone from Oz give us your owner's manual recommendations for octane on the Rocket? Here in the USA its 89. Heck... it may be measured differently in other countries also.

The gas itself would almost have to be pretty close to the same stuff. Almost everything on the planet uses the same technology, pretty much OBD II based. Cars now travel freely from country to country. If the gas was actually different it would mean that the tunes would be vastly different and maybe even the hardware.... such as combustion chamber shape and so on.

I think what dougl said is bull****. In germany "Super" has 95 Oktan. So it is the same Gaz as in Australia and nearly the same as in USA.

2 days before I send tuneboy an email and asked him for his view and sent him the link to this tread. Get now answer by today but that he asked dougl for the dyno run file says a lot of.

Last edited:
I think what dougl said is bull****. In germany "Super" has 95 Oktan. So it is the same Gaz as in Australia and nearly the same as in USA.

2 days before I send tuneboy an email and asked him for his view and sent him the link to this tread. Get now answer by today but that he asked dougl for the dyno run file says a lot of.

That's a bit confrontational don't you think:flame:

I think we are somewhat 'lost in translation.' First of all Doug was quoting what someone else told him about differences in fuel. And it was just a theory as to why he experienced such a high a/f ratio. Second his a/f ratio was high, could be his individual set up of his bike, could be the dyno, who knows. And I know for a fact Doug has been in contact with Wayne quite frequently since the release of Tuneboy. The tunes I run are based on logging done by Doug and recommendations made by Wayne from those results.

talltxguy just got some dyno runs done and got these results...

I tried 3 different tunes. The 1st tune was 20050_3 off the Tuneboy site. My 2nd stuen took me a week to create - I averaged every F1,2,3 value between 20050_3 & 1fsthombre. The 3rd tune was 1fsthombre.

1st run (20050_3): 138.35 HP 151.72 TQ
The A/F line pretty much stayed around 13 with some minor peaks and valleys. The low was 13 @ 4000 RPMs and the high 14.2 @ 3200 RPMs.

2nd run (20050_3 & 1fsthombre average): 137.47 HP 152.63 TQ
The A/F line was **** near riding the red dotted line with a low of 12.5 @ 5300 RPMs and a peak of 13.5 @ 3000 RPMs. The bike sounded so much better than the 1st run. The dyno guy looked over and thumbs upped me after that run.

3rd run (1fsthombre): 136.60 HP 151.28 TQ
The A/F line dug down to 11.5 @ 4900 RPMs and reached 14.1 @ 3200. The bike sounded like it was dragging ass, which the dyno guy confirmed with a shake of the head. Hombre's tune was way too rich for my Rock.

These results confirm that the fthomobre tune is very rich. And proves that what is good on one bike isn't the best on others.

What was bullsh!t? That I was worried my bike would burn up with the Unifilters or that the dyno had the A/F at greater than 18? It really did. Wayne said it was probably a bad reading, which it probably was. However, the reason I removed the Unifilters the next day was that a bike in Oz burned up with them.

I said sorrrrrrryyyyyyyyy for the bad word. What I mean is that the gaz in Europe or USA has not better quaility as in australia.

Back