Under Seat K & N Filter

I think just he inside as the flow is from inside to outside. BTW this filter is a total waste of money and it will allow much larger dirt particles into your engine and shorten its service life. Stay with the pleated paper stock filter.

I think just he inside as the flow is from inside to outside. BTW this filter is a total waste of money and it will allow much larger dirt particles into your engine and shorten its service life. Stay with the pleated paper stock filter.
Not according to the tests you see them do paper vs k and n

So what are you saying, all the guys with 3 k and n filters under the bear claw is a waste of money?

5BBB41E4-D26F-489D-81D4-5CEDF819A041.jpeg
0455B654-2E16-4F84-A178-84081AC7F3E6.jpeg
I know this is an old thread but these under seat k and n filters are you supposed to oil the outside only? Or inside and out?
Given it draws from inside to out - The most important surface to clean and oil is the inside one. They offer no advantage over paper imo. The cleaning has to be far more regular than most users will do to avoid the far more limited initial surface area from clogging. Whereas most will happily replace the cheap paper filter.

And they OFFER NO PERFORMANCE ADVANTAGE as the entire system both feeding the filter via under seat snorkel and the plenums between the filter and engine are a bigger bottleneck than the filter is.

Not according to the tests you see them do paper vs k and n

So what are you saying, all the guys with 3 k and n filters under the bear claw is a waste of money?

Not saying Triples under the claw is a waste of money as the performance gain has value for sure. I am saying 2 things. The under seat K&N is a waste as the performance gain is negligible and it will let in more dirt as the oil media breaks down quickly and allows larger particles of dirt pass through which will degrade the integrity of the engine sooner than designed. The 3 K&N under the Bearclaw will also let in more dirt and do the same thing. However the performance gain has value and is the tradeoff for shorter engine life.

Does the K&N air filter that goes under the seat actually help much.

No. The benefit of THIS filter is negligible to nothing different on the dyno. It will let in more dirt as the oil media quickly breaks down and filtration decreases so larger particles are allowed to pass through the filter. Keep the stock paper filter and clean it yearly. Also remove the snorkel attached to the bottom of the seat for slightly improved airflow.

Not saying Triples under the claw is a waste of money as the performance gain has value for sure. I am saying 2 things. The under seat K&N is a waste as the performance gain is negligible and it will let in more dirt as the oil media breaks down quickly and allows larger particles of dirt pass through which will degrade the integrity of the engine sooner than designed. The 3 K&N under the Bearclaw will also let in more dirt and do the same thing. However the performance gain has value and is the tradeoff for shorter engine life.

Isn’t that the case with all k and n filters then? Yeah I realise it
Would be a waste for performance
But cheaper to wash and re oil every 5,000 Ks then using paper ones, 8,000ks between services is a loooooooong time by the manual .

Isn’t that the case with all k and n filters then? Yeah I realise it Would be a waste for performance
But cheaper to wash and re oil every 5,000 Ks then using paper ones, 8,000ks between services is a loooooooong time by the manual .
Some of the GENERIC K&Ns have the option of water/dust covers. This allows them to function at peak for longer.
Rather than get the under-seat K&N - I would gut an old paper filter and line it with top grade filter foam suitably treated.
full

Here's one I did using RAMAIR foam and goo. Just to show how easy it would be.

Back