Tyre Pressure Monitors

Folks, I have been running these for about 4 years with no problems.I carry the receiver in my pocket when I ride as it vibrates when there is a drop in pressure. At highway speeds I doubt that you could feel it. I just do a visual check at ever stop. On mine the actual pressure front and rear read three pounds light, battery life is excellent have only had to replace the battery in the receiver once.
I also use ride on in my tires and it does not affect these sensors.

TireGard Wireless Tire Pressure Monitoring System - External : Amazon.com : Automotive

Motorcycle Tire Sealant | Scooters Tire Sealant | Motorcycle Formula (MOT) - Ride-On

What is optimal tyre temperature? Or what temperature are recommended pressures based on? I read Pirelli’s Diablo Supercorsa or Metzeler’s Racetec, have a optimal temperature somewhere between 80˚c and 120˚c. But what about the tyres on our Rockets?
AFAIK the tyre speed/load ratings are evaluated at STP - defined as 25degC at 14.7psi. This is a standard Physics benchmark value.

Many of the TPMS systems sound alarms at 70ºC for road tyres. I know that here I've had the tyres running hotter than that and the rubber started to peel off as a result. If ambient temp is 40ºC then road surface temps can easily top 60ºC. Run fast, the tyres overheat.

Track tyres run hotter - but they are also designed to grip to over 1.2G whereas road tyres in general start to let go at 1.1G. And not supposed to last 1000's of miles.

So - I now have my TPMS.
Neat - tidy and well thought out.
Comes with a silicone rubber cover for even more protection.

But I fitted the monitor into a mini tank bag designed for SatNavs., as I don't like stuff on the bars and was easier to see without the silicone case inside the bag.
Worked fine at fitting - inside a garage.

BUT - I'm having problems at the moment getting a signal/connection from the rear wheel outdoors. Swapped the sensors over and it's not the sensor. The rear sensor works fine on the front - the front wont connect to the monitor when fitted to the rear. My gut feel is that with the rim width, proximity to disk(or bevel housing) and the amount of metal and electronics between sensor and monitor - it's as if the sensor is inside a Faraday cage.

Tyrepal are looking at it. They've been quick to reply and have taken interest.

But the data from the front is already interesting. The tyre pressure builds almost immediately - so unless your air filling station is within 1/2 mile it will have risen a good PSI by the time you get there - even riding gently. Thereafter mine rises about 3PSI in total and sits solidly there - despite heavy thrashing. Temp varies with no (as yet) obvious pattern.

BUT - I'm having problems at the moment getting a signal/connection from the rear wheel outdoors. Swapped the sensors over and it's not the sensor. The rear sensor works fine on the front - the front wont connect to the monitor when fitted to the rear. My gut feel is that with the rim width, proximity to disk(or bevel housing) and the amount of metal and electronics between sensor and monitor - it's as if the sensor is inside a Faraday cage.

Tyrepal are looking at it. They've been quick to reply and have taken interest.

Did you get the rear tyre signal to work?

Did you get the rear tyre signal to work?
It's not the sensor - it's simply finding a way to let the signal get to the monitor.
Not yet - At the moment it's on my "to-do" list. I'm occupied with the RAMAIR filter testing. Issue is finding somewhere different to mount the monitor that I can see. I don't have standard handlebars.

Back