Tweeting my riding position.

The key for avoiding pins and needles is to get your hands into the relaxed position - the hand should be angled, halfway to vertical is ideal (thumb up, but hand leaning inwards) and the wrist straight so the hand isn't cocked either left or right. This will do the most for hand comfort, but that's separate from back and neck comfort.

For me, that meant risers and then tilting the bars down as much as was practical - this gave me almost straight wrists and hands that feel great hour after hour on the bike.

Explanation of the Natural Wrist Position in Ergonomics

Lots of us have neuropathy of various causes too often un-diagnosed: diabetes, ankylosing spondylitis (AS), Viking claw (Baron Dupuytren's disease), Carpal Tunnel Syndrome (Kangaroo paw), multiple sclerosis (MS), Alcohol, old age, you name it. Shake it and keep going till you drop is my advice. Even though you have no feel you can still operate brakes etc. Me who the fcuk knows. I have AS,Viking claw and Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, but maybe a few others too.

Last edited:
Yeah, that's where a relaxed wrist position helps. Especially carpal tunnel or any other ailment where you're getting issues from having the thin channel in your wrist where the nerves enter the hand pinched by cocking your hand sideways too much.

I found my self to be slouching as well when riding. Recently I've hurt my neck, possible hernia in my vertebra and I am 100% positive the Rivco risers I just purchased for my Roadster will help me not have to bend my neck to look up and look more straight towards the road.

Howdy from Finland.

I´m planning to to make ape hanger for my 2005 stantard Rocket. 1 1/2" tube with standard controls and heated grips. I´ll route wires trough bars, bar height might be 16"-17" (I´m 6´7" tall with long reach). Any toughts? Do I need to extend wires? Which type are the ends in the throttle cable (ordering correct type), so that hey will fit heated throttle grip (broke one allready when installed them)?

Hi Pilvi, welcome to the forum, in regard to my bars. They are 1" if you want 1.1/2" you need to bush down for the clamps and for the grips/controls big hassle IMO.

Took a while to get my bars sorted they are 12" bars on Rivco Risers. I cut down the width (bad move in hindsight:banghead:) to make same width as originals. The heated grips and bar ends are completely stock. I drew up the standard Triumph bar ends then cut the new bars to suit and riveted the inserts I made in so they take all the stock Triumph bits, was very happy with the result in this area.

Before starting the job I ordered plugs and terminals from the US in a kit from a company called Cycle Terminal, expecting to have to extend the wires and was going to make extension leads. In the end I did not have to but any longer you will have to extend the leads, you'll need new clutch and throttle cables to of course. I sent my cables to a guy in NZ who fully built a new clutch cable for me but had to use my old throttle cables to get some specific parts, but you can order off Barnett (I think) any length you want also.

Also took the opportunity to run two new brake lines from the master cylinder directly to each caliper, used HEL brand nice product and good service from local car speed shop.

Your bl**dy tall at 6'7". I'm the same but 6'4" with real long arms. If I was starting out again I'd go for 14" bars not the 12" and wider. Even after all my efforts the bars are not as comfortable as my mates R3T in the pic you liked the other day, he got those just perfect, but the cost was horrendous.

Good luck with your endeavor.

Thanks for your reply!

It was long winter, other plans kept me busy... Season is starting so back to project. Does someone know the lenght of stock throttle and clutch cables? Or suggestion how long ones I´m going to need? This going to be 18" (45cm) bar and I also have Rivco risers tilted the other way (+2"?).

Done.
IMG_20180610_205143.jpg

Lots of us have neuropathy of various causes too often un-diagnosed: diabetes, ankylosing spondylitis (AS), Viking claw (Baron Dupuytren's disease), Carpal Tunnel Syndrome (Kangaroo paw), multiple sclerosis (MS), Alcohol, old age, you name it. Shake it and keep going till you drop is my advice. Even though you have no feel you can still operate brakes etc. Me who the fcuk knows. I have AS,Viking claw and Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, but maybe a few others too.

Spanking the monkey ?

Back