Tweeting my riding position.

Bone crusher

I'd rather be lucky than smart
Ride
2011 Triumph R3R
So while my new adventure with the Rocket is only a couple off weeks old. I have been having a recurrent problem with my throttle hand getting pins and needles. On a ride to the coast yesterday I discovered that if I made myself sit bolt upright that the problem slowly disappeared. So I deduced that i must be slouching and that was making my head look up slightly and hence the pressure on my somewhat degenerated spine causing the problem. I found the posture / riding position better anyway but the problem is that my arms were now fully extended to locked out straight . The solution is to bring the grips back slightly so I can have some bend in my arms while sitting in the correct position. If I roll the bars down and thus back I don't think it will help as the bars will while coming somewhat closer will also be lower. New handle bars are Im sure to be expensive and Im wanting to save my pennies for performance upgrades that I hope I will soon be able to undertake. Have any of you gents had the same problem and is there a budget oriented way of solving the problem.

on a longer run i have to alternate between up right and slouching.
also i am able (with my seat) to move close to the tank for a little and that seems to help.
i have classic bars and they seem to cock your wrist inward it took me a long time to get use to that. if i have to lean forward and have pressure on my hands then my hands go numb.

So with a bit more research I have come to the conclusion that risers are what I need but I don't seem to be able to find any that are specifically for my 2012 roadster. Any suggestions?

Hi Mate,
I have risers ready to go on my bike made by Rivco and are the same for Roasdsters, Classics and Standards.
I will dig out the part number for you. You could also do risers and Classic Bars and also maybe a riders backrest to sit you up.

So while my new adventure with the Rocket is only a couple off weeks old. I have been having a recurrent problem with my throttle hand getting pins and needles. On a ride to the coast yesterday I discovered that if I made myself sit bolt upright that the problem slowly disappeared. So I deduced that i must be slouching and that was making my head look up slightly and hence the pressure on my somewhat degenerated spine causing the problem. I found the posture / riding position better anyway but the problem is that my arms were now fully extended to locked out straight . The solution is to bring the grips back slightly so I can have some bend in my arms while sitting in the correct position. If I roll the bars down and thus back I don't think it will help as the bars will while coming somewhat closer will also be lower. New handle bars are Im sure to be expensive and Im wanting to save my pennies for performance upgrades that I hope I will soon be able to undertake. Have any of you gents had the same problem and is there a budget oriented way of solving the problem.
image.jpg

Hey Mittzy
I was around your part of town today and was going to catch up but got caught up with stuff. I thought that i saw somewhere that those were not suitable for the roadster for some reason. perhaps because of the instruments mount but I'm not sure. What you up to tomorrow, might try to catch up for a beer and have a look at the risers.

Hey Mittzy
I was around your part of town today and was going to catch up but got caught up with stuff. I thought that i saw somewhere that those were not suitable for the roadster for some reason. perhaps because of the instruments mount but I'm not sure. What you up to tomorrow, might try to catch up for a beer and have a look at the risers.
Sounds like a plan mate.
The only other mod you would need to do is convert the tank securing tongue to a hinged one so it does not hit the gauges.
See PDF Drawing Below. Cant remember who drew this but it was someone from here.

Attachments

• Tank Hinge.pdf
    178.4 KB · Views: 4

This is interesting. Today i was in the process of rotating the bars back in the risers a bit more to see if it would help with the problem of getting my head ripped off, arms stretched and pulled out of shoulder sockets and cramp in hands from holding on after finally getting a chance to road test the tune i loaded the other day. Anyway what i think the problem can be attributed to is that the rocket being the contradiction that it is, is too fast for the riding position and I will have to either slow down or take steroids, I don't think moving the bars up or down will solve much but good luck!:)

I liked the std bars and have had a few bikes that cut the circulation off after a while and came to the conclusion that it was more the angle(pullback) of the bars that was an issue. The Rivco risers are really good and helped a lot as it always felt like I was leaning slightly forward (am 6'4" tall) have recently fitted a pair of 12" apes to the bike and now its perfect, should have done this years ago

I went with the Classic bars on my 2012 R3R.
While not perfect, they were a good improvement!
Will have custom set made to my specs thus winter.

Back