How do you confirm that you have loaded a tune from a hump drive to the bike? Is there a save command at the end of the download?
If your talking tune from a thumb drive. Well in order to load a tune you have to open it up un the ecu then click ecu down load. Otherwise you loaded what was already up on the screen
If that doesn't make sense Rick call me we'll hash it out.

Hi All,
I've been having overheating issues and am going to unload my TuneECU installed on my 2011 Rocket 3 touring (back in 2015) and reload original saved map.... To see if the issues continue. Any advise or things to watch for in doing so?
Thank you.

Hi All,
I've been having overheating issues and am going to unload my TuneECU installed on my 2011 Rocket 3 touring (back in 2015) and reload original saved map.... To see if the issues continue. Any advise or things to watch for in doing so?
Thank you.

You can use TuneECU to test the fan circuit. Good chance it'll be the relay or something. Also could be fuse, connector etc

If the fan circuit works ok, then check the coolant temperature, make sure it is accurate.

Other things to check (TuneECU not required for) would be the coolant is bled fully, coolant temp sensor is in place etc

I doubt it's the map, but for pig iron you can use TuneECU to check what is the thermofan temp setting is under Parameters (that is coolant temp at which the fan switches on at), while connected.
Should be in around 100.C +/-

I had a temperature issue a few months ago, then the bike started missing for a while, and eventually just started cutting out, and finally wouldn't start. Turned out to be the fuel line coming from the pump had a split. Apparently it started slowly and just seemed like a lean condition.

The fan circuit is working ... cycles on and off ... @ what temp I don't know. The temp sensor and t stat have been replaced. So I'll check that cooling is bled completely, again and get the relay on/ off temp readings. Thank you.
Mostly it gets hot in slow & no go traffic. As a Patriot Guard Rider flag bike, I need it to keep its cool in those conditions.
I am completely stock except for the tune.

It acts like it is over fueled and I need to be creative with throttling to get it pulled over before it dies.
I have blue-baked the chrome finish off both silencers after trying a fix only to repeat result.

Last edited by a moderator:
You'd be surprised how dry and cracked those fuel lines get, inside the tank. I found it hard to locate fuel line, made to be submersible. Most people act like they've never heard of such a thing. I finally wound up with what my local parts guy called "premium" grade line. Probably just an excuse to charge more for it.;)

1. Speciality coolants are good to enhance the cooling capabilities of your engine. You shouldn't need these to keep an engine running properly in normal weather conditions though. There are thousands of bikes running on regular anti freeze with no issues around the world. I would check for air in the system but this should only happen if you changed the coolant recently or had a major leak and had to replenish.
2. Also, you stated that your pipes are blue and they are stock. I have seen catalytic converters plug up causing lots of backpressure and heat in an engine and exhaust. Doesn't happen often but is another reason to store for future reference.
3. Steels suggestion about a cracked fuel line in the tank is one I haven't seen and will be stored in the old noggin. Engine running lean and erratically. I imagine the fuel pump would cycle a lot with this problem.

Back